Pig tail blueys!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do indeed have nice patterns.

As one who works in the veterinary industry, I am concerned when things like this pop up though- The desire for something 'new' and 'different' is always present in most people, and also the $$ signs flash in front of the eyes. However, my concern with this is that if this trait shows to be heritable, what will happen to future generations with these 'designer' deformities?

Taking dogs as an example- You can't really name a single dog breed that doesn't have numerous known, genetic defects, yet these animals are still bred continuously. E.g. german shepherds/retrievers/rottweilers/etc with SHOCKING hip dysplasia, and to the worse ones like bulldogs which require assistance to reproduce (both to conceive and c-sections for the pups), or bulldogs, pugs etc with the squashed face (i.e. brachycephalic) which results in significant respiratory problems in many cases- narrow nares, long soft palates that hinder respiration, narrow tracheas... Cardiac diseases, joint diseases, hereditary diseases involving the blood, respiration, neurological, you name it...

Look at the dachshund/'sausage' dog - the spinal issues they have, because someone thought it was a great idea to breed an incredibly short, yet very long dog. Manx cats, bred to have no tail, frequently have debilitating spinal disease.

Who's to say these skinks aren't in pain already, or that their offspring (if hereditary) won't be in pain or suffer consequences of the deformity, that is purposefully being bred into them. Sure they might eat and move around but have you actually observed how well animals can mask pain?

That's all I'll post in this thread..

Anyway. Just my views, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just dont want to see the reptile world go downhill like the dog/cat/horse etc 'worlds' have. We already have jags..

Last edited:
thank you, that was exactly the point that I was trying to get across, and thanks for the likes.

We can all agree to disagree on the ethics of keeping and or breeding these critters.

Me, I think they look pretty unique and I would own one given the chance.

People will hate me for this,

But, How many of you that think this is cool would be happy for your child to be born
malformed?

Why is this not a malformation, when if it was a human it would be?

Personally I would face a massive dilema if I had these, I wouldnt be able to kill them, but nor would I deliberately breed them.
Perhaps I would seek a vets opinion.

I feel sorry for them, as if it doesnt correct itself, to me it looks like there will be problems for them.

GetInline.aspx

These discussions always seem to end up emotional or personal. True colour morphs (not hybrids)are just a variation of a single gene - no different to us having blue eyes, blond hair, etc. And, as someone pointed out earlier, hardly different from any two animals bred together by our choosing and not natural selection. The problems generally arise through inbreeding too closely when trying to reproduce them too quickly.

No-one has to like them - it comes down to personal choice.

Lol what a change. From pig-tailed blues to imaginary dingos. This is probably the last post ill make on this thread. O.P at the end of the day it is your decision what you do with your blues. I'll say this I would not consider breeding a reptile or any animal with a birth anomaly. Like others have stated there is no way to tell if these traits will be passed on, there is also no way to tell they won't. As long as your ready to face the reality that these may or may not produce some more extensive abnormalities in the next generation and you ready to cull. Then by all means persue this project. Good luck on whatever decision you make. Be sure to keep us updated.

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of a similar birth defect in leopard geckos, which from memory was due to a nutritional deficiency in the adult breeders. Something akin to spina bifida and folic acid deficiency in people I would guess.

Another possibility is that it could be due to a problem similar to interuterine growth restriction in humans and deformities like club foot. Was the litter quite large or the mother on the small side?

Maybe it's just me, but if they were mine my first thoughts would be to where I had gone wrong and to what could be done to fix the problem. Obvious (usually single) gene mutations such as albinism are one thing, but chances are here you are dealing with something else. Even is this was to prove to be genetic, from experience with other animals mutations that cause musculoskeletal abnormalities such as this often occur as part of a syndrome, and can have many other more serious, initially less obvious effects.

i think when they poo they don't drag their tail through it and spread it everywhere.

It may even be wise to take the Bluey's to get xrayed. That way you should get a good idea on the possible (if any) stresses on the spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back