Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- - - Updated - - -

Why? They dont take all the unwanted parrots that get aggressive when they reach maturity or the noisy ones......

Ok-sorry for being optimistic towards the fate of unwanted reptiles...I guess snakes will be easier to flush down toilets instead.

I am guessing that DECC will make it harder to sell reptiles privately,they have already closed us out of a few places most non NSW people use.
To sell reptiles to a pet store would not be an option for me as they would not pay enough.
They have the reptile keeping minimum standards back up with "must " so they have something coming.
Suppliers that think they will make money are fooling themselves , farmers always get squeezed ,onley shops and government will proffit.

Im concerned about the day that uneducated keepers who keep wondering into pet stores asking for "pretty snakes" and pressuring the relative States and Territories to question their rules on exotics. Doubt it will happen, but stranger things have occured.

So every animal that arrives at the shop is not put up for sale for 3 months but if from a trusted breeder there is no quarantine? Do you house animals from trusted breeders separately from animals that come from other sources?
If someone came in and asked if you had such and such you would send them on their way even though you could supply them with an animal that say came in a week ago?

Yes to the first question in a separate room at the other end of the shop. Animals from said breeders are put into the main reptile room but only put up for sale when I am satisfied they are eating well for me. I would send them away and offer them a chance to come back when the animal is ready which is not usually a problem to first time buyers but can lead to losing a sale with others. Many people are happy to layby the animal and complete set-up and it gives them a little time to save up. Just to clarify the set-up thing, I tell all buyers of juvie snakes to house them in a click clack.

I am guessing that DECC will make it harder to sell reptiles privately,they have already closed us out of a few places most non NSW people use.
To sell reptiles to a pet store would not be an option for me as they would not pay enough.
They have the reptile keeping minimum standards back up with "must " so they have something coming.
Suppliers that think they will make money are fooling themselves , farmers always get squeezed ,onley shops and government will proffit.
but with this new legislation coming in, reptile stores will be able to advertise as will we

dangles has got a good point it will be alot easier to sell our reptiles now with advertising, you could just put in on the local corkboard down at the shoping centre.

in NSW a 2 year pensioner licence is $50 and full price is $63. that will not stop impulse buying. also i doubt pet shops will inform buyers wen they get their licence that they are subject to random visits from DEC for inspections.
probably not but you barely here of people who get checked anyway, i remember a thread that happened here ages ago asking if anyone had been checked , from memory only a few had and they where all from WA

I'm against the idea. I feel it will create reptile factories similiar to puppy factories. Someone who constantly churns out bulk reptiles to sell to pet stores for a quick sale. Good ethical treatment and practices tend to slip with some of these people in search of the mighty dollar which then reflects poorly on the hobby. In a hobby that is so heavily weighed down in rules we need to reduce the potential of having private ownership restrictions being increased. Look at Pitbulls for an example of bad practices restricting ownership.

I'm against the idea. I feel it will create reptile factories similiar to puppy factories. Someone who constantly churns out bulk reptiles to sell to pet stores for a quick sale. Good ethical treatment and practices tend to slip with some of these people in search of the mighty dollar which then reflects poorly on the hobby. In a hobby that is so heavily weighed down in rules we need to reduce the potential of having private ownership restrictions being increased. Look at Pitbulls for an example of bad practices restricting ownership.
I think you'll find they already exist, for example ALL short neck turtle babies in petshops in Vic and SA come from the one wholesale turtle farm. A lot of other animals come from a very well known and not very reputable wholesaler. We refuse to buy off them anymore as when animals were purchased from them prior to me working there they were not eating properly or at all.

Yeah i went on holidays to Qld and a petshops "reptile guy" tried selling me a snake for $300 was a one week old spotted python even though i've never kept one before...i also told him i'm from NSW and only here for another week he insisted that's okay and told me i should buy it from him right now...i laughed at him and walked away...My local "reptile" shops try to sell $500 large enclosures to people wanting hatchlings, heatrocks for water dragons, heatlights for geckos...seriously the government is bound to screw it up.

I cant believe that these shops have the power to turn good snakes into bad; good keepers into bad keepers or good buyers into bad buyers.At the end of the day they will be the same buyers of the same snakes. They will merely be provided an alternative to lurking around the McDonald carparks trying to find these illusive breeders. I remember how hard it was to find reptiles when I first started, between NPWS saying you cant advertise and breeders wishing to "fly under the radar". Of course some buyers will prefer to buy from a long term business with a public reputation to lose, but there will still be those who only care about price and petshops wont be able to compete with that. If breeders cant compete, when in general they dont pay tax, rent or labour then they should give up.

lol you will still need a license and i doubt every pet shop is going to want to sell herps.. on the other hand im sure there is breeders/ reptile keepers who have been itching to own a reptile shop for years... now is your chance.. i dont see why everyone thinks that every pet store is going to rush out and get snakes to sell. most people are scared of snakes and it wont be their best seller. Here there is a few reptile shops and 1 or 2 pet stores i know of ands they only sell beardies..

I cant believe that these shops have the power to turn good snakes into bad; good keepers into bad keepers or good buyers into bad buyers.At the end of the day they will be the same buyers of the same snakes. They will merely be provided an alternative to lurking around the McDonald carparks trying to find these illusive breeders. I remember how hard it was to find reptiles when I first started, between NPWS saying you cant advertise and breeders wishing to "fly under the radar". Of course some buyers will prefer to buy from a long term business with a public reputation to lose, but there will still be those who only care about price and petshops wont be able to compete with that. If breeders cant compete, when in general they dont pay tax, rent or labour then they should give up.

I would much rather "lurk around" McDonalds car parks to buy a reptile from an established breeder who can be vouched for and has a name for themselves rather than buying from a petshop where the origins of the reptiles may be questionable at best. And of course the price is a major factor in my reptile buying decisions, why would I pay $1000 for an animal which I can get from a private breeder of the same quality for $500? It's just common sense really.

I can see in this thread why i oppose some like jamie (pythoninfinite) and warrick (Wokka) representing my interests as a hobbyist on committees to DECCW.

There's nothing stopping anyone from continuing their current practices of buying from breeders......

At the moment ,might change though

Why would it change?
We've had herps selling in pet shops for years...I still bought my Diamond off cement!
Similarly I purchased my Striped Coastal from a reptile/aquarium shop who really knew their stuff and provided paperwork to keep with my licence.
It's not going to all fall apart and die just because pet shops can sell reptiles in NSW now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back