Whacking day coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
Wildlife officials have announced a snake hunting competition with cash prizes in a bid to control Burmese pythons in the Florida EvergladesNext month's python challenge will pay $1500 for the largest number of snakes and $1000 for the longestThe challenge will have two categories - one for licensed python hunters and another for anyone willing to pay a $25 registration fee, take a half-hour online identification course and - it goes without saying - sign a liability waiver.It is beleived thousands of pythons live in the wild. Why can't they capture live and relocate? I was in the Everglades last year talking to people at a reptile park, sure there are problems but can't they try something more humane than this?Anyhow, found this in today's Sydney MX newspaper. Discuss at will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the fact we are reptile enthusiasts out of the mix. We take the same approach to cane toads whereas the keepers of them think we are cruel. In NZ I regularly took part in the Great Easter Bunny Hunt which had the Green Party up in arms, but if you saw them as a pest, it wasn't a problem.

Its a matter of perspective and if its conducted and policed properly, I believe the benefits outweigh the sympathetic side and the negatives.

Just my 2c of course

Last edited:
Wildlife officials have announced a snake hunting competition with cash prizes in a bid to control Burmese pythons in the Florida EvergladesNext month's python challenge will pay $1500 for the largest number of snakes and $1000 for the longestThe challenge will have two categories - one for licensed python hunters and another for anyone willing to pay a $25 registration fee, take a half-hour online identification course and - it goes without saying - sign a liability waiver.It is beleived thousands of pythons live in the wild.****Why can't they capture live and relocate? I was in the Everglades last year talking to people at a reptile park, sure there are problems but can't they try something more humane than this?Anyhow, found this in today's Sydney MX newspaper. Discuss at will.

Where do you propose they relocate them to? They're introduced pests. If someone here in aus finds a corn snake should they relocate it?
Like sniper said they're in the same bracket as cane toads and should be destroyed

It sounds like a great idea as long as they dispose of them humanely and native snakes are not victimised.

I don't see anything wrong with it, sure it is not the snakes fault that they are there but relocating all of them would be too expensive + where would they go? Zoo's sure as hell don't want them and captive breeders don't want wild's in their collection.

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube;JiUKIWSqqDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUKIWSqqDM[/video]

On the flip side if they want to get rid of them then why not capture and euthanise then, or even hunt in a more organised way. I can understand about what people say with rabbits, cane toads and the like, but even when these animals are taken care of, they still are more organised with it than this whacking day thing

Americans do euthanise them..... with a .45 or a shotgun :lol:

Maybe they should issue the hunters with bricks?.... evidently it is a kind way of putting down reptiles?

There is nowhere really to relocate them to, as someone said already..... I agree with the cane toad comparison..... they just shouldnt be there in the first place.... you can blame irresponsible former owners for letting them go in the first place..... poor owners, they didnt realise the snakes would get THAT big:rolleyes:

On the flip side if they want to get rid of them then why not capture and euthanise then, or even hunt in a more organised way. I can understand about what people say with rabbits, cane toads and the like, but even when these animals are taken care of, they still are more organised with it than this whacking day thing
i wouldn't call the yearly cane toad round up that used to happen at my local golf coarse "organised" very far from it really just a bunch of people with golf clubs and a good spotlight

ratbag , i have actually heard that alot of the snakes that originally got out and formed the problem where from large breeders facilities that where destroyed in a hurricane and not so much released pets although they still contributed , not sure how true this is though

Last edited:
i wouldn't call the yearly cane toad round up that used to happen at my local golf coarse "organised" very far from it really just a bunch of people with golf clubs and a good spotlight

ratbag , i have actually heard that alot of the snakes that originally got out and formed the problem where from large breeders facilities that where destroyed in a hurricane and not so much released pets although they still contributed , not sure how true this is though

I have heard that too thommo.... according to some folk on an american airboat forum I belong to, the pet release problem was huge before the hurricanes and flooding, now the problem has become astronomical :shock:

Dettol is my weapon of choice for cane toads ;)

whats the dettol do , similar effect as water on the witch from wizard of oz ;)

i can imagine that alot would have been released pets as they do get huge , apparently their breeding in the wild there (again not sure how true) if thats the case then something does need to be done about the problem before it gets so out of control that they cant be controlled , problem is though if they are breeding how the hell do you find the little tackers , i know there big hatchies but surely they'd still hide and be hard to find

Pretty much the same..... a quick spray... they do about 2 hops (flops) and thats where they stay.....they dont panic or seem to be in any distress.... they just stop? Evidently dettol on thier pourous skin makes them expell all of thier water, so it is like instant dehydration..... extremely effective. Thats why I often say to people to be careful what they put on thier reptiles skin (on cuts or abrasians) in case it has the same effect as dettol on a cane toad.

According to the airboaters, there is so many pythons in the everglades, whenever you go out for a ride, you see dozens of them..... they have to be careful with thier dogs on the boats when stationary, snakes have taken smaller dogs off the bow of parked boats :shock: worse if the dog gets off for a swim...

It is unfortuneate they need to be killed. But they are a feral animal having major affects on the local eco system. It is no different to shooting foxs and rabbits here. The main issue is that they are disposed of humanely.

This might end up another one of those stupid american shows like swamp people. I love how they have to use sub titles on that show :)

Capture live and relocate? to asia? after living in the wilds of America? lol

No, to another state other than Florida... One that no one likes... Maybe Utah....

Secondly... Dettol? Really? And then justify it as humane... Please... It is tantamount to cruelty no matter which way you look at it.

It seems like a good idea but despite the "identification course" I imagine it will turn into reptile free for all. Yokels with shotties unloading at anything that slithers. Afterwards they can put their new ID skills to work to decide whether to hand them in or not.
I think Turtleman should be brought in to take care of it. 'Live Action'.

I think Turtleman should be brought in to take care of it. 'Live Action'.
hahaha turtle mans a clown , if he had a go at catching them like he does everything else i can see him winding up as snake food imo unless his show is set up (which i have my suspicions) than its only a matter of time.......

turtleman is awesome. i will not allow it! yeyeyeyeye live action. lol. the alligator dudes (the ones that catch them with a finger under the jaw are crazzzzzy though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back