what is the best way to tame a snake ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way for me is stick your hand in the cage get bitten a couple of times, eventually they realize it does nothing. Also just play with it in it's enclosure to tell it it's not getting fed. Try feeding it in a separate enclosure or shoe box or something. Worked for my 3 jungles.

P.S be patient it won't happen over night give it a month or so before you go letting someone else grab it

- - - Updated - - -

I would listen to them, my 3 jungles tried to bite everything now they are puppy dog tame. Not sure about the jungles are more aggressive thing, personally spotters seem to be more aggressive then anything else

Its ok the English teacher in me has to do it now... Oh and Python_rep I wasn't trying to be rude I really did find that a bit of a poo to read.

I explained to them that I didn't feel comfortable handling it and was looking to get a more docile breed, and didn't realize you had to wait six months before you could sell. They told me that breaching the rules of your license was a very serious matter, and it was my responsibility to ensure I knew the restrictions regarding my license

In hind sight you probably should have gotten it back from your mate and just hung onto it for 6 months, you could have learned a lot about young snakes while it was still small enough not to actually hurt you... oh well live and learn.

ALL Snakes have attitudes so y we going there ????...u learn as u grow with your new addition

Rolled up newspaper sorts them out real quick

when insolent,i place them in a burlap sack and beat them with reeds,pretty standard really.

You need to show the snake that you're not a threat and the best way is as follows.
Wash your hands thoroughly, stick your hand in some rat/mouse bedding and gently pat your snake's head starting from the neck to the tip of the mouth. Then gently place your hand in front of the snake's mouth and let it smell you. It will soon sense that you are a lesser creature and will no longer bite as it won't feel threatened.

You need to show the snake that you're not a threat and the best way is as follows.
Wash your hands thoroughly, stick your hand in some rat/mouse bedding and gently pat your snake's head starting from the neck to the tip of the mouth. Then gently place your hand in front of the snake's mouth and let it smell you. It will soon sense that you are a lesser creature and will no longer bite as it won't feel threatened.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

That is the BEST laugh out loud I've had for a while, what a great way to start the morning!
24.gif

You first have to speak in a nice soft voice and defiantly no swearing,otherwise you may be bitten..If you do get bitten then buy a few pressies,especially this time of the year,then the snake will no you care about it..

Here are a few things that I do with my snakes. I do not hold them as such but support them. I only hold them when doing some sort of interevention, ie, inspection, medicating etc. I am relaxed when I do it and this inturn relaxes the snake. When I clean them theyt go into a bag or tub. I do things as a matter of cours eand dont flinch or back away but just follow through. This also tends to put snakes at ease. I dont shove my face up to the or move them around suddenly. No confrontation, no rapidly change features or landscapes or crowding. I still get bitten occasionally by pythons. Thats because they are hateful and spiteful.

How about some real details Jayden, ok so it's a Jungle... how old? How long have you had it? What type of behaviour are you trying to tame (striking at the glass or grabbing your finger and constricting it or tagging you in the face)? What is it housed in and where? Is it Slytherin00's 'snappy' jungle? Do you keep it in a drawer and brick it when it's naughty?

Sorry couldn't help slipping in a poke at Fulmer and Slytherin... My bad!
65.gif

Just gonna jump in this for some advice maybe I have a particular woma you everytime without fail bites coils and hangs on not defensive at all just hungry. I always end up running her under water to get her off. The bites aren't very painful but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting this out of them. She gets fed every six days too so shes not going without

Depending on the scenario there are a few things. If, like Slytherin, you only just got your snake and tried to handle it and feed it etc in the first day or two, let it settle in. I leave a snake for a week before I feed it and then the end of the second week I will consider handling it. If it is in a glass enclosure in a high traffc room I would hang a curtain across the front of the tank for a few days so he can settle into a new enclosure without seeing all the movement infront of his tank.

If it's narky when you reach in either move confidently and dont hesitate or flinch. Or use a hook to get the snake to start with. I still do this with my Mac not because I am worried about a tag but because she has come to associate the hook with out time and relaxes quicker than if I just try to grab her. I'm not a fan of gloves but if you must I would use something thin that lets you still feel what you are doing, like a cotton glove or golf glove. Lonqi swears by using a pillow case or some such to drape over your hands and slide your hand under the snake if possible, once out and settled take the pillow case away.

Handle it regularly for brief periods to start with and gradually increase the hold times. Remember you aren't 'holding' the snake as much as supporting it so don't grip it tightly.

Again depending on the behaviour it could also be that it needs a larger feed, especially if it grabs you and won't let go and then starts throwing coils around your hand or finger.

If it's a hatchy/juvenile then it may out grow the behaviour if its an adult it may just be Satan spawn and you have a snake that is more of a display and look good snake rather than a show it to your mates snake.

This post could have been shorter or more specific if Jayden had given more details, but between my post and some of the other more serious ones I think most of the best stuff has been offered... altough I still like the idea of imersing your hands in rodent bedding. :twisted:

- - - Updated - - -

Just gonna jump in this for some advice maybe I have a particular woma you everytime without fail bites coils and hangs on not defensive at all just hungry. I always end up running her under water to get her off. The bites aren't very painful but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting this out of them. She gets fed every six days too so shes not going without

Well J, tell us something. How big and old is your Woma? What size is the food you are giving it? It sounds, on first impression, that she is simply hungry and needs bigger feeds. You should be able to feed her every 10-14 days without losing a finger. :D

She's about 80 cm long and according to the breeder about 18 months old I've fed her every 6-7 days an adult mouse she is not defensive at all and once she let's go is fine to handle every now and then she'll bite and hold twice but normally realises once she's off but then still coils tight like she doesn't want to let her massive juicy meal get away lol iv just been persisting with washing my hands then using f10 then grabbing her out with a teatowel before I move to just my hands she even tries to eat the teatowel lol

If she latches on and doesn't want to let go that suggests a hunger hit. Some of the others on here might have a better idea but just what I have observed with Womas and how stocky they are I would be thinking two large adult mice or a hopper rat (about a head bigger than a mouse) although not much longer than a mouse the rat is stockier and more filling. My Mac is 1.2m and she eats that much a fortnight.

Does the single mouse give her a decent food bump in the belly? If its not very noticable I would definitely be upsizing the feeds.

If you get a chance to weigh her and weigh a food item, I know some of the guys use a % ratio to work out the feeds, I just look at Skittles's belly and her responses when I get her out. If you look on my profile you'll see she's a great handling snake.

BTW how long have you had her and is she your first snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back