Monitor vs monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4me

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys I was just wondering which is better as a pet or that sort of thing a "ridge tail monitor" or a "black headed monitor".

Depends on what you'd prefer in a monitor .. size/requirements etc .. which do you like better is the best answer

ackies are more docile and easily housed and handled
black heads are swift and arboreal as well as nervous and fragile , so as a better starting option the ridge tail is best for the beginner because it is simply easier to keep

Thanks guys that really helped.:D

Last edited:
i was wondering do monitors have venom? as i was reading this book Living with snakes and reptiles by simon watharow and it said that they have primitive venom glands? sorry for hijackin

No monitor makes a "pet or that sort of thing" kid. Black heads as said above are alot more flighty / aboreal / quicker so as to handling wise ( not as a toy ... ) Acanthuru's are alot better although you will find if handled too much while younger become snappy when older like most monitors and their bites do hurt a tonne.

Leave the poor kid alone already. Yes he didn't make the best first impression, but admitted he should have shut up and listened to the more experienced keepers' trying to teach him something.

He's asking a sensible enough question regarding his next purchase. Answer or close the thread without posting rubbish in it..

Both of these monitors are considered beginner monitors. However, as mentioned above, V. acanthurus (ridgey's) take to handling a lot better than V. tristis (black-headed).

In saying that though there's always the exception, as most/all of my old ridgey's were bastards...

Yes leave the kid alone. I've been disturbed by the aps's community reponse to a 13 year old who is keen on herps. Flame me but don't flame the kid. I'm big and old and thick skinned. He ain't. OK

Anymore negative posts, picking on the kid...you WILL be infracted.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Hey stop this 'I got my answer now stop'. Monitors_R_Us how many times do I have to tell you to stop posting under my threads you never give any advice instead you start to pick on me and waste my time and other members time and when I said 'which was better as pet or that sort of thing' I meant which is better for handling and has the least demanding in its need that sort of thing.:| There is a saying 'you can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal.

Last edited:
Hey stop this 'I got my answer now stop'. Monitors_R_Us how many times do I have to tell you to stop posting under my threads you never give any advice instead you start to pick on me and waste my time and other members and when I said 'which was better as pet or that sort of thing' I meant which is better for handling and has the least demanding in its need that sort of thing.:| There is a saying 'you can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal.

So we all got slapped and you're going to rub our noses in it? Humility is lacking.

Hey stop this 'I got my answer now stop'. Monitors_R_Us how many times do I have to tell you to stop posting under my threads you never give any advice instead you start to pick on me and waste my time and other members and when I said 'which was better as pet or that sort of thing' I meant which is better for handling and has the least demanding in its need that sort of thing.:| There is a saying 'you can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal.
I think he gave you some quite good advice to be honest. I think you may be underestimating monitors and their behavior, they are nothing like that of the gecko or dragon family. Mate my advice to you would be to save your money and instead of buying reptiles buy some good reptile books which will not only give you first hand accounts of keepers experiences but will also give you a clear understanding of their needs and their endemic surroundings.
Also use the internet to read (instead of posting) about specific animals because chances are there are 100's of detailed threads about what you are asking from a wide range of keepers.
Another thing is you need to be a little more humble, when people with experience give you advice....follow it!, there are a plethora of experienced people who keep a range of "specialty" animals and who you really should listen to.

I'm not having a dig at you by any means but I believe you will find the hobby a lot more enjoyable if you truly understand the animals you are keeping and not just keeping them for the sake of keeping them;)

i was wondering do monitors have venom? as i was reading this book Living with snakes and reptiles by simon watharow and it said that they have primitive venom glands? sorry for hijackin
The only venomous lizard is the gilla monster. Many people belived that monitors had some sort of venom as after bites the wound would become quite infected and cause alot of porblems. This however until recently was proven untrue as it is more bacteria then venom. At the reptile park there was a recent study as to potency of bacteria of wild caught animals compared to captive and the captive animals fed a much 'cleaner' diet although still having alot of bacteria in the bite had nothing compared to the wild animals.

The best novice monitor would have to be a Varanus gilleni, common name Pygmy mulga monitor. They are smaller than both ackies and black headeds and are better for handling. Certainly dont bite. They can be kept in Victoria and are class one in NSW.

It was a very recent discovery but monitors do have a very mild venom and very small venom glands at the bottom of its head 'not the top such as snakes. The only other venomous lizards are 'as Monitors_R_Us said' is the 'Gilla monster' and the 'Mexican bearded lizard' both have venom that could kill a man unlike the monitors that can cause pain except for the 'Komodo dragon' it's venom can and has killed a man. This discovery was only made within the past 2-3 years.

It was a very recent discovery but monitors do have a very mild venom and very small venom glands at the bottom of its head 'not the top such as snakes. The only other venomous lizards are 'as Monitors_R_Us said' is the 'Gilla monster' and the 'Mexican bearded lizard' both have venom that could kill a man unlike the monitors that can cause pain except for the 'Komodo dragon' it's venom can and has killed a man. This discovery was only made within the past 2-3 years.

thanks mate :)

Last edited:
thanks for that

- - - Updated - - -

thanks mate
Main reason being is alot of the larger wild monitors eat some carrion ( dead rotting animals ) which is the main cause of making the monitors saliva have much higher bacteria levels.

A number of Australian lizards have rudimentary venom glands including goannas and beardied dragons. While bacterial infections can occur with any bite the influence of venom is poorly understood. I know from personal experience and reports from others that some monitor bites can have an effect not accounted for solely due to bacteria. Certainly an area for more research.

A number of Australian lizards have rudimentary venom glands including goannas and beardied dragons. While bacterial infections can occur with any bite the influence of venom is poorly understood. I know from personal experience and reports from others that some monitor bites can have an effect not accounted for solely due to bacteria. Certainly an area for more research.
Do not know were I read it but apparently an ackie bite releases the exact same amount of this 'venom' as a lace monitor, hence the throbbing off their little bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back