Monitor vs monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right ,the only thing that this venom in monitors can cause is pain, if the species Cary's bacteria then the venom helps "assist" that bacteria this is the case with the 'Komodo dragon' which is one of many reasons why it is so deadly and deserves the up most respect.

No monitor makes a "pet or that sort of thing" kid. Black heads as said above are alot more flighty / aboreal / quicker so as to handling wise ( not as a toy ... ) Acanthuru's are alot better although you will find if handled too much while younger become snappy when older like most monitors and their bites do hurt a tonne.

Good advice :) Apparently not....

I'm going with V.tristis because I have an enclosure more suited to arboreal lizards. I have no need to handle them as they're not 'pets' at my whim. I have my birds for tactile interaction :D

- - - Updated - - -

That's right ,the only thing that this venom in monitors can cause is pain, if the species Cary's bacteria then the venom helps "assist" that bacteria this is the case with the 'Komodo dragon' which is one of many reasons why it is so deadly and deserves the up most respect.

Where did you get the information that forms the basis for this post?

Good advice :) Apparently not....

I'm going with V.tristis because I have an enclosure more suited to arboreal lizards. I have no need to handle them as they're not 'pets' at my whim. I have my birds for tactile interaction :D

Well no he is actually correct, ackies are a much better choice for a first monitor than tristis.
Secondly if you don't handle them how do you clean their enclosure? Catch them with a net?

Well no he is actually correct, ackies are a much better choice for a first monitor than tristis.
Secondly if you don't handle them how do you clean their enclosure? Catch them with a net?

I know he's correct ;) If you read above though the OP felt that his post provided no value....

No need to handle to clean. Why do you feel there's a need to catch them?

You wait until they go into their hides, say a piece of ag piping and move that. Restraining goannas such as Black heads causes stress.

I know he's correct ;) If you read above though the OP felt that his post provided no value....

No need to handle to clean. Why do you feel there's a need to catch them?

Sorry I didn't get the sarcasm.
I always remove animals from enclosures to clean them, to me personally just seems a lot easier and less stressful

You wait until they go into their hides, say a piece of ag piping and move that. Restraining goannas such as Black heads causes stress.
i agree to that, it took me bout 19 months for my tristis to start to trust me.now i can get him on my arm but he's off if he see's the dog!
(and thats only to fully clean his cage)
to the op i'd get a bearded dragon because monitors to me are touch when only necessary reptile:)

I got my info from TV program's such as "deadly 60" and news reports. If there is something interesting 'to me at least' on the news or 60 minutes and a current affair I watch it. I do read books but I did not get the info about the monitors from books.

I got my info from TV program's such as "deadly 60" and news reports. If there is something interesting 'to me at least' on the news or 60 minutes and a current affair I watch it. I do read books but I did not get the info about the monitors from books.

Yes there are limited sources of information on monitors. Good luck in your quest. I've found that googling the Latin name of a species long with the term 'husbandry' or 'captive' or ' care sheet' often pulls up useful info.

I do that most of the time thanks for the heads up.:D

Reptiles4me,
You asked for advice and when give it by certain individuals, have berated them. Yet the initial advice they gave was sound. I can only wonder how genuine you are in your opening post.

There are a number of incorrect statements that have been made by various posters. I would like to correct some of those.

Varanus komodensis has a toxin that it releases when it bites live prey. This toxin inhibits the blood of the victim from clotting. This, in turn, results in massive blood loss through wounds inflicted, ultimately resulting in death. Water buffalo are the main prey killed in this manner by Komodo Dragons. The bacterial infection following such attacks has been found to be derived from the rank water in which the injured animals sought refuge. It is definitely not from the saliva of the lizards.

Some other varanids have been found to produce a similar toxin. This results in excessive bleeding from a wound that would not normally result in such bleeding.
It gets more complex than that… have a read of B. G. Fry’s articles available on the net.

You have been clearly told that V. tristis are flighty animals that are difficult to get to the point where they can be safely handled. Not impossible. V. acanthurus are more amenable to handling but it depends very much on the individual animal. V. gilleni are more amenable to handling than th other two if appropriately dealt with as youngsters. As a generalisation, monitors do NOT like to be handled.

This information is available on the net so you do not have o take my word for it. Do a bit of research. The worst thing that can happen is that you will get educated!

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back