Thinking of buying a long neck turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesstonna

Reaction score
Hey all,

So i'm thinking of buying a long neck turtle as my next pet, i have done my research so i know all the basic stuff of how to care for them but the only thing i can't find information on is the cost of running the lighting, filter etc. My main question is, are turtles expensive to keep? Will it increase my parents electricity bill by much? Because they wont let me keep one if that's the case!

Also, i know i have done my research but i don't exactly want to have a massive tank full of water in my bedroom so what is the minimum size to house one turtle? My room is also quite small so having a big enclosure would over crowd my room so any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi, long neck turtles are great pets and with some basics covered, easy to keep. A 3 ft tank should be a minimum for a small turtle and as it grows, you should consider if you'll be able to keep it in an outdoor pond.

You'll need a good canister filter to keep the tank clean and a basking light and uv. So you're looking at a few hundred dollars to set it up to begin with. Ongoing power cost shouldn't be to much, same as any fish tank and shouldn't upset your parents :)

As far as enclosure sizes go, turtles are one of those pets which can and will use up whatever space you have got unlike say, pythons. Bigger is usually better, but in terms of minimal dimensions it will depend on the size of your turtle.

And keep in mind turtles go through a LOT of waste, a strong filter is as such very useful
With heating and lighting, can depend on where you live. When i kept mine we used to live in the tropics, so every so often i'd take my lot out for a good (supervised) sunbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back