Woma pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelysmoley

Reaction score
Hi just a few questions about woma pythons

Can they handle low and high temperatures well? (example: 38˚C - 15˚C)
I know they are terrestrial reptiles but will they climb and sit on a ledge elevated off the ground?

Thanks

some womas climb some dont i saw in an article that they have been documented climbing trees to take prey but isnt really common

They are incredibly hardy and can survive temperature extremes. That being said I have my basking spot at 32 and on hot days I turn it off completely. There is no need to push them to their limits. I don't have any ledges in my enclosure for mine. He is very unco, even for a woma. I have lost count how many times he has managed to fall off the top is his hide. :)

Heres some info of them in the wild this is the article i was talking about before
oh and my yearling tanami woma climbs :)
The Woma Python Story

Last edited:
Wow nilesh that is amazing. When my tanami hatchy arrives I might see if he wants to climb.

Thanks for all the replies, i might keep my shelf in the enclosure and see what he/she does when i get him.

Wow nilesh that is amazing. When my tanami hatchy arrives I might see if he wants to climb.
there probably all a bit different but my boy loves to climb , i made him an enclosure with 2 big main flat ledges one as a basking spot , i made them nice and wide with easy ramp type access to try to reduce any falling , his ignored the easy ways up and climbs up the tiny little ledges that where more for look than climbing or just reaches up with his head then pulls himself up

i attached a pic to give you a bit of a better idea of how its set up , he fell a few times when he first went in trying difficult climbs but he seems to have it down pat now , this morning i watched him make his way up the little ledges in the middle of the enclosure up to the very top at roof hight then made his way over to another ledge at the top thats next to his CHE , his still there so ill see if i can get a quick pic

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
he might, you never know :), and it is awesome watching them when its feeding time

here we go , crappy phone pic but it shows what i mean

Attachments

• 09122012(003).jpg
    09122012(003).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 80
Thanks Thomasssss for the reply and the photo's, and Nilesh ive heard they can have a great feeding response.

Just a quick question whilst on Woma's. Jaffa is about to go into his full size enclosure. Given his basking spot is set around 32C, if he sleeps under his hide does it need to be a certain temp under there bearing in mind that he has just come from a tub with a heat mat. Now he will be on slate with either a spot lamp or infra red (preference???).

Any help guys.......cheers and thanks. Oh and mine is a bit of a climber too....has two dowels in his tub and utilises them often.

Just to add to what has already been mentioned about climbing - All my aspidites seem to *love* climbing, but they are the clumsiest climbers I have ever seen, and regularly land on the ground with a whopping great thud. Although this doesn't seem to bother them (as they just get to climbing straight back up), for larger, heavier specimens I would look at making sure they can't fall from an extended height, as they could well injure themselves.

Last edited:
My boy is a uluru woma and is quite big (compared to tanamis). I've never trusted him to climb as like I said he manages to fall of his hide. :facepalm: Most the things I have read have talked about how clumbsy they are and how you should have anything they can fall off of, so I thought that he was the norm. Hopefully, my tanami will climb. I think it would be nice to see a woma get higher than 10cm in the air without falling :)

So im getting a tanami woma, and the shelf is about 35 cm off the ground, will it hurt itself if it fell from that high. by the way: i will put it in that enclosure when its older, it will go into a click clack for now

Mine loves to climb. He has a branch that he likes to drape himself across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back