Search for Moderators

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My hard is with you Frogy. When you get better, we still need you.

i think you mean "heart" Mr Slatey :) ..... We'll see what happens .... just so much on my plate at the moment

Sorry to hear you're not well igotfrogs. I hope you improve soon. Well done to all outgoing mods, enjoy a well earnt break

My hard is with you Frogy. When you get better, we still need you.

Hey Hey, we have 12 year olds on here......:lol:
My wife is a school teacher [ year 7-12 ], you would not believe what comes out of their mouths or what they wear to school !!
I think Colin & Fay did an exception Job being moderators, all the crap they had to put up with [ and by the looks of things......still putting up with ] is beyond me !
I think i got a few infractions :oops:, but it was mostly from Slatey........to much time on his hands :lol:
Anyway, if the new Mod's perform 1/2 as good as the previous crew, i'll be happy !

I never cease to wonder what drives some people…

This is not a time to voice long held grievances, for whatever reason. It is a time to bury them, forget them and start afresh.

Anyone in a decision making position involving people will always be open to criticism. No matter how fair and judicious they may be, the harsh reality of life is that you cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Add to that the very subjective nature of many of the posts where Moderator’s are required to intervene. It is not an easy job. You have to make decision based on what you see, yet there may be an extensive history that you are not privy to. Not to mention human fallibility – you don’t always get it right.

All that aside, forum users need to bear in mind the basic facts of life – if everyone adhered to the site rules then the Moderators would have nothing to do. So if you genuinely wish the new recruits well, you will make a genuine effort to keep within the rules. And it would not hurt to provide others who need it a gentle reminder thereof.

Moderators volunteer their time and their energy simply because they believe in the worthwhile outcomes this site is able to produce. They are not paid. And there is a real cost to them in terms of effort, assessment, decision making and responses – all of which chews up their personal time and enjoyment of the forum. They are there to allow it to function. Not to pick on people as some irresponsible users would have others believe.

Blue

PS. A comment was passed earlier about “Believe it or not APS isn't the central hub for 90% of reptile keepers.” Where does that come from? No-one is comparing APS with similar sites. We are focussed on our site and on improving the services it provides for its users. If you are not a regular user, then butt out. This is all in-house. We, the regular users, have a vested interest in changes taking place and what we can do to facilitate improvements. If you are unable to contribute positively to that, then it is preferable that you say nothing.

Blue, well said. However I gave "others who need it a gentle reminder" lol. But all I got was its not my job to moderate. However they'd obviously already made it theirs

If you feel it necessary to remind someone of the rules, you are better off hitting the report button and alerting the mods that way. It will keep other members off your back for being a 'goody two shoes'. It's the mods job to enforce the rules.
If hitting the report button makes you feel uncomfortable maybe a gentle pm would also work, rather than a public 'these are the rules ' ?

My mindset is still working in terms in terms of 3 moderators of which maybe one was available at any given time. I am not being critical but I know there are many instances where I hit the moderator button and nothing happened for the next three days or more so I have taken it upon myself to say something. I also think that it depends upon the nature of the offense as to whether is requires immediate addressing or can wait. I am hopeful with the increased number of mods, personal intervention might well become a thing of the past. Previously, it was far too much for three individuals with their own lives to lead to cope with.

Furiousgeorge I relate to that 100%. No one ever thanked me or reminding them of the rules. And the typical comeback of “You’re not a moderator” was not an uncommon reply. To which I would reply, ”Correct” but that does not alter the fact that you are not adhering to the site rules. You can always add “Would you rather I reminded you or a moderator infracted you?” Unfortunately, it is putting yourself in the line of fire. It was remiss not to have mentioned that in my original post. Thankyou for bringing that to my attention.

Blue

We are all entitled to our own opinions but that does not mean we get to continue reiterating them at the expense of the site rules. Any further criticism of how the site was previously moderated will be met with actions to enforce Rule 13.

As mum used to say, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Just a reminder in regard to our previous Moderating staff. Their tenure as Moderators is still protected by General Site Rule 13. Therefore any violations of this rule will NOT be tolerated. The offending posts will be deleted and the authors dealt with accordingly.

Let's move forward, People.

General Site Rule 13:
If you have a problem with the way the site is run or the action taken by Moderators/Administrators, then you must lodge a ticket with 'Feedback/Complaints' at the Support Centre. We will not tolerate open criticism of the site or the way it is run in any of our forums. Nor will we tolerate any criticisms of the Moderators/Administrators. In some cases we will suspend account to protect other members with out giving any reason. We do the work in running the site, so we control how it is run. If you find that objectionable, please feel free to move elsewhere. Otherwise, we welcome your input and hope that you will enjoy your experience on APS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back