black headed python temperament

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry timma I'm not trying to steal your thread :D
But was wondering whether Womas have the same temprement as BHPs? I'm thinking about getting a Woma for my next python but have heard some bad reports about temprement haha!!

Havent had any experience with Woma's and i've been told they have unpredicable temperaments, so id like to hear more about woma's too! In regards to BHPs, i own 2. They are ALL bluff - 100%!! My male and female will only hiss little when you disturb them while sleeping, but thats the extent of it - a bit of hissing, and its so quite too, you can hardly hear it. I use a hook to get them out so theres no chance of being bitten i use a hook for all my snakes. Once theyre out they are just *****cats, ive even bathed my male and he couldnt care the slightest. Wonderful snakes to own, but its true, you wont stop at one lol. Good Luck!

i have 6 7ft+ bhp's an they will bit anything u put in there cage, coz i feed them in there so they think anything going into there cage is food, all so i do not handle any of my pythons unless i have to.

Haz,I have a matching male that would make a great pairing with SOS.
Have a few hatchies here that are puppy dog tame and ready to be moved on as well.

As far as womas go in general they are a very laid back animal,very very placid.

Last edited:
I was at the Australian Reptile Park on the weekend watching the snake show and the handler was saying that bhp's are "always agro and pugnacious" and they don't grow out of it!!! I think it must have been a scare tactic woo the crowd into thinking he was cheating death by letting it hide in his shirt?!! quote]

I got the same story at the reptile park about the bhps and the crowd wre scared of it. lol
i think Bhps are very placid even when they are only little. Sydney wildlife world had no ploblem letting me hold a 7 month old one.

My bhp is about 6 months old now and he has Never bitten, bluffed or even hissed. He just loves to come out for cuddles. I have never used a hook on him either wether he is sleeping or even when in feed mode. He is fed in a separate box and once finished i can put him straight home without aid of a hook. If he wants to be handled i just open his door and call his name and he appears, notices its me and comes out on his own accord. He is the most wonderfull character and i rate BHP's to the fullest. In saying that, there is your odd exception as each snake is different. Hope you get one they are a joy!!

Mine too do the hissy bluffing thing but once theyre out they are gentle as, I love em to bits :)

hi iam getting a female bhp mid next year how wide do they open there mouth dose females get bigger then 3m do they grow do the size off the enclosure or do the grow to their nomule size

I have many of these beautiful creatures! Both adults and hatchies. It's true they rarely bite but their is always an exception to the rule. It's correct that they do stay in feeding mode for a long while after a feed this is the main time you get chewed, or when they simply haven't been fed when they are hungry. Particularly in the Autumn when preparing for winter breeding.

I have one 9ft adult names SOS (spawn of satan) who will leap out of the enclosure 3ft evry time to get you. This is the exception. She calms down after 10 mins of handling. She lives in a cage that is permenantly cloaked as so she doesn't damage her face.

I'm looking for a matching male with a ridiculous attitude to pair her with. So I can produce great first snakes lol!

Funnily enough we have an adult female here that is exactly the same....and another female we got as a hatchie that took a lot of work to settle down - a year of handling etc to not have her go mental when we came near the cage at night or near feed times.

BHPs are big, beautiful and gentle creatures....but I say the same about Olives and Womas.

At the end of the day I would say regardless of the species if you handle a hatchie before you buy it and it is placid as long as you continue to handle it, feed it correctly and often etc then it will generally stay that way. BHPs and Womas both bluff and tend to headbutt before they will strike.

We have olives, blackheads and Womas that I can just put my hand in their enclosures (where they are also fed) and pick them up as long as they are not due for a feed (haven't been game enough to try that lol). Why? Because that is what they are used to....

Goodluck and just remember to those that were asking...handle the animals first and make sure you are comfortable with their temperaments before you buy them if that is a concern of yours, there are alot of expo's just around the corner ;)

- - - Updated - - -

hi iam getting a female bhp mid next year how wide do they open there mouth dose females get bigger then 3m do they grow do the size off the enclosure or do the grow to their nomule size

Yep they get bigger then 3m and will do so depending on how you feed them, not their enclosure size. We had one of our yearlings out last night that is a great feeder, measured him and he just hit 2mtrs.....am guessing he is going to be a big boy ;)

Our biggest female here at the moment is about 8kgs in weight and well over 3mtrs long....and still putting on weight etc for breeding season.

How wide do they open their mouths? Plenty wide....she has no trouble at all downing a 1kg rabbit ;)

Cant go wrong with a BHP mate, get a young one and hold it often, it will be an absolute puppy dog. Just make sure you're aware of the size, they're a big snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back