Another newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deev8

Reaction score
Hi all ;) Im Dee new to this site & also the proud new owner of a blonde mac hatchling which ive named ‘kurios‘...Any handling tips would be greatly appreciated & also if im guna feed her in a separate container how long do i leave her in it before putting her back into her click clack?thanks heaps hope to chat soon ;)

Welcome Dee, the biggest tip i can give is to leave her to settle in for a week before handling/feeding. I dont feed in a seperate container, so i cant help you i'm afraid

Hey JaxRtfm, thanks for the welcome & advise ;) so u reccommend feeding in her normal enclosure? Not in seperate container?so if i feed in her enclosure she wont get cage aggressive?

Welcome to APS Dee.

You will get different stories from everyone as to if you should feed in its enclosure or out of its enclosure. There are benefits and also downsides to both, so do what works for you after having a search through the forum and reading others experiences. I personally feed all of mine in their enclosures as feeding 12 animals separately can take a bit of time, I would not envy anyone trying it with more. I have not experienced any downsides to feeding mine in their enclosures.

I feed my woma in his enclosure just after dusk. He is a typical food crazy woma so I tend to only handle him in the morning. He is not cage defensive one bit and hasn't mistaken my hand as food ...yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum

Hi Dee and welcome :)

I feed my children's pythons in his enclosure, he was a bit cage defensive at first but is settling down as he gets older, I know he used to get fed in a separate tub before I took him home, but I personally like feeding him in there and leaving him to go and hide/rest in his familiar surroundings.

Em

hey welcome to the forum

i do feed in a separate tub so can a help a bit there

if your only doing it to stop them being cage defensive don't bother :) , its a myth imo i only feed in a separate tub for my womas because their messy eaters (i.e. drag it around alot ) and i dont want them to eat heaps of the coir peat with their food and even though i do it my male woma still comes at me like ive got food when his in his enclosure , its just down to the individual snake

I feed inside the enclosure but from what I have read most people that feed in a seperate tub wait until the mouse/rats has just gone down and others wait until it is around half way down the body. It is entirely up to you how long you wait but the key thing is to just be gentle with the snake.

Hi Dee and welcome I have a blonde maccie as well
I feed him in his cage, I have been tapping on the glass before
I feed him and now when I tap he comes out of his hide and grabs the food
but nowbody is allowed to tap unless its feed time

Hi Dee and welcome no need to feed your mac in a seperate container although if you do wait at least a few days before moving

Hi Dee and welcome no need to feed your mac in a seperate container although if you do wait at least a few days before moving
i move mine about 15 mins after its gotten all the way down, never had a problem , the only animals i do this with have a very calm nature though and don't freak out if their moved with food in their guts so regurge isn't much of a risk , if the animal was obviously timid or defensive in anyway i wouldn't even think about it though

Wait until your snake moves around, open enclose door, lift tub up to door, tilt tub slowly and use small snake hook if needed to guide snake back into its home. Do this for a year and get sick of it and start feeding in the enclosure!

Hi Dee
I have a Gtp.
My process is to feed at night in his enclosure but only when is enclosure light is turned off and I have a room light that is a small wattage globe which give enough light for me to fed. I can play in his enclosure when his light is on but he is very alert and gets excited when only the room light is on.

Hi and welcome.... I too feed my 2 macs in thier enclosure.... they cohabitate in one enclosure, so I just wait with the hook to keep them apart if one finishes before the other, and starts eyeing up the other ones rat (half eaten already) ;)

I tried feeding them out of the enclosure, but didnt want to handle them so soon after feeding to put them back.... feeding in enclosure works for me.

Handling tips? Well, dont be tentative when you are around the snake, if you are going to pick it up, pick it up.... dont dilly dally and make half hearted attempts..... just do it. If you are stressed and jumpy around your snake, it will prolly pick up on your nervousness and be nervous as well..... and a nervous snake is an umpredictable snake.

Also, I like to pick my snakes up with my hand, rather than hook.... but I often have the hook in my spare hand and just use the hook/handle to guide the snakes bitey end away from any parts of me it might be overly interested in ;)

Good luck :)

Hi Dee and welcome.
I have always fed mine in their enclosure, never had a problem in 20 years.

Never owned a hook either. In my mind these are for venomous snakes not for the nice little pets we keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back