Shingles and Beardies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is all hypothetical but a possibility in the future.

I have read often and seen in shops, beardies and shinglebacks being kept quite happily together.
If I were to do this someday (no hate please) how would you recommend heating and lighting them.
Would I be able to keep 1 of each species or would they want another of the same species each or what?
And what size enclosure would be needed/recommended for a certain amount of animals?
I also read, while scrolling through older posts about this topic that someone said in Vic this was illegal. Not sure what was going on there as I have seen people do it and never read that it's illegal?

Thanks for any help and please no arguments on the topic of housing animals together. (if I do buy some and keep them together, I will obviously keep watch over them and separate them immediately if problems arise.)

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone got anything?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll bump it even though it's been only a few hours. I'm so bored at the moment.

I have seen people keeping bearded dragons, blueys and shingles backs together in a large outside pit ( wasn't in QLD). I have no clue if it is legal or not as I have never done are even bothered thinking and researching it. But you definitely would not put both species in an inside tank, I have heard that Blueys are territorial towards other lizards, this might be the same with shingles who could easily damage a beardy. Co-habilitation might work in a large outside pit where there is plenty of space but I wouldn't try it any smaller. Other people will have more information on this topic then me, but that's how I see it.

I kept three shingles and my spare adult male beardy together for many years in a 5.5 x 2 enclosure , I would only ever keep adults together though, and sometimes the shingles get upset when the much faster bearded eats something they were trying to catch, I had one very large female shingle that loved insects, she tried so hard to catch them, and would become aggressive towards the dragon for stealing them.... so at times I removed him at feed time...

At amazing amazon (in vic) they have a large desert setup. it has blue tongues, beardies, a ridge tail, and about 5 shingle backs.

the tank is massive and they were all just laying on top of each other

Last edited:
^^^^ that's the shop I didn't name in my post. I saw them doing that and I love both shingles and beardies so thought if I can get em both in the one enclosure that would be perfect. They really all did just lie on each other without a fuss. The tank is huge but then it does house a few animals.
Do you think one of each would be ok or would they need more of their own species? and does gender matter? like would a male shingle with a male beardie cause problems?

guess it depends on the animals, last week the doors dividing the beardies sleeping room from the shingles sleeping room blew open a crack and one of my male shingles made it thru to the beardy side,...unfortunately my 12 yr old female beardy was already awake and attacked him so hard she fractured her own jaw,....he has a bit missing above his eye and a mark on his lip. If my shingle had bitten her back she wouldnt have a head left. (200g vs 800g)

strangely enough this is the same beardy i got as an 8 year old who had been mauled by a shingleback she was housed with as a bub,.....so the bad stuff goes both ways,..

hows that for a memory tho,....im sure she hates shingles cos of her trauma as a kid!!

At amazing amazon (in vic) they have a large desert setup. it has blue tongues, beardies, a ridge tail, and about 5 shingle backs.

the tank is massive and they were all just laying on top of each other

Its not a Ridge Tail monitor, its a Cunningham skink ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back