Bearded dragon eggs leaking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gemrock2hot

Reaction score
So I've had my bearded dragon eggs in the incubator for around 3 days and have noticed that some have popped and have yoke starting to seep out. I'm incubating at about 29 degrees and using a 50/50 mix of perlite and water.... The eggs that have popped still seem to have a nice pink spot where the embryo is and only one has sunken in the other popped ones are still nice and plump. Is there any chance these will hatch?

It's likely the female slit these eggs with a claw when laying. They are now leaking as essentially they are cooking. They will not hatch.

It's a hole that the female has made with her claw. They won't necessarily deflate as the yolk inside is cooking and expanding. They will however go bad and start to smell.

50/50 water and perlite seems liek way to much to me, i think they have popped due to absorbing to much water, are the eggs looking very full, check the underside and look if it is looking stretched. might need to mix some vermiculite into the mix or get the eggs off the substrate with some egg crate

It could also be due to the egg shell not being strong enough to cope with the water absorption.
Did you increase the amount of calcium in your bds diet while the eggs were developing inside her tummy?
I to have some bd eggs in an incubator with a 50/50 water vermiculite mix, and have had no probs with eggs rupturing.
She may lay another clutch of eggs in the next few weeks. Try and increase the food and calcium you give her and the next lot of eggs may fair better.

50/50 vermiculyte and a 50/50 perlite is a very different mix, first time i used perlite i almost lost a clutch of stimo eggs because it was to wet, i still use it as a top layer on my vermiculite but i wouldnt use a 50/50 mix with perlite alone

There's no excess water in the bottom of the container just enough water to hold the mixture together.... I use perlite coz I had mold problems with vermiculite.... The eggs don't look stretched at all.... Although when I seen her laying she did get a bit carried away digging to cover them and popped 8 in the process.... She was getting calcium powder but maybe not enough so I have upped her cal intake.... Oh I should add this is her first clutch she laid 26 eggs and she is 2years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back