Local pet shop's price of frozen rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just going off track here, how come you feed your stimi rats? Being smaller snakes i thought adult mice would be the way to go.
Are small rats better for them than adult mice?

I'm only asking this out of curiosity - i'm no way having a go at you for feeding a stimi a rat :) Just curious as to why. If rats are better for the snake than mice, i too will feed my stimi's rats :D

My Childreni has been on fuzzy rats for a little while now, not because they're better than mice, but at the time I had my woma on the same so it just made it easier to just be buying the same food. Of course my woma has since moved up a size, but the Childreni won't be too far behind her.

My Spotted takes Hopper Rats - usually get a pack of five for $25 - yes, cringe, but I don't know any rat suppliers near me, and at least I know the product comes from a reputable herp company in NSW. Also, I have found it difficult to get rats that are quite the right size for her; fuzzy are way to small and weaner seem enormous (though the greedy little miss will chug them down ><) and the pack I buy are exactly the right size - and I haven't found hopper rats done by any other company! Also, I was told that rats make them grow better/faster .. someone please re-inform me if I have this wrong..

My Spotted takes Hopper Rats - usually get a pack of five for $25 - yes, cringe, but I don't know any rat suppliers near me, and at least I know the product comes from a reputable herp company in NSW. Also, I have found it difficult to get rats that are quite the right size for her; fuzzy are way to small and weaner seem enormous (though the greedy little miss will chug them down ><) and the pack I buy are exactly the right size - and I haven't found hopper rats done by any other company! Also, I was told that rats make them grow better/faster .. someone please re-inform me if I have this wrong..
There is not many pets that you can feed for $5 a week or fortnight!

lol.. you might have a point there lol. Pity I don't live near captain Ratbag; I hear he has opened a lovely McMouse restaurant and all the local pythons are raving about it :p

yeah pretty expensive i have to get my rats from a petshop:(
expensive as $14 for 1 80-120 gram rat, and 19 dollars for a 3 pack of weanling rats lol i have 14 snakes so the costs add up oh well what can ya do..
Think it's time you start breeding your own!

Maybe I should be charging more, I just sold these for $20 1x 430g, 1x 420g, 1x 350g and 2x 230g

I only breed a small amount for myself and a couple of mates so no I do not have any to sell :p

i just had to buy some medium mice for one of my snakes from a pet shop cos i couldnt get to the herp shop and paid 2.95 for them, usually get them for under a dollar the rats i pay 2.40 for were 8 bucks bloody rip off.

I think reliability deserves a premium. If prices are not set at sustainable levels there will be no reliable supply. Some reptile keepers prefer a reliable and consistent supply rather than chasing bargain basement prices, but the market needs to satisfy all buyers.

Think it's time you start breeding your own!

ha ha i would but i dont have the space for ratty cages at the moment, and i dont mind buyin from the petstore that much its just that they dont seem to have a constant supply
alos i dont think i could put rats to sleep espeacially if theyre like this

Last edited:
ha ha i would but i dont have the space for ratty cages at the moment, and i dont mind buyin from the petstore that much its just that they dont seem to have a constant supply
alos i dont think i could put rats to sleep espeacially if theyre like this
View attachment 273831
pic doesnt work ,seriously though with 14 snakes id have a look around for breeders in your area , i didn't think there where any near me until i got in touch with wokka who put me in touch with one of his breeders , its near an hours drive each way but definitely worth it

Last edited:
Once people get more than 5 or so snakes, it becomes all but neccessary to breed your own..... but even so, I agree that pythons are pretty cheap pets to feed.... compared to dogs and cats (or horses) A large dog will cose about $30 a week or so..... my cat costs about $15 a week....

Pet shops do need to make money to cover wages, super, rent and utilities..... but they do seem to have rip off prices? I dont think many pet shops have heard of the idea of selling more at reasonable prices, rather than selling a few at rediculous prices.

My rats started from breeding for my own snakes and a couple of friends.... maybe you could do the same?

Once people get more than 5 or so snakes, it becomes all but neccessary to breed your own..... but even so, I agree that pythons are pretty cheap pets to feed.... compared to dogs and cats (or horses) A large dog will cose about $30 a week or so..... my cat costs about $15 a week....

Pet shops do need to make money to cover wages, super, rent and utilities..... but they do seem to have rip off prices? I dont think many pet shops have heard of the idea of selling more at reasonable prices, rather than selling a few at rediculous prices.

My rats started from breeding for my own snakes and a couple of friends.... maybe you could do the same?

Just one of my Tree snakes eats 6 Sword-tails a week, thats at $5 pop lol

Hmm I do agree, I did breed my own and when I moved I sold them. I generally buy from a local supplier, but got caught short last week, just about died at the cost from a local pet shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used to breed my own mice and it saved me a fair bit

pic doesnt work ,seriously though with 14 snakes id have a look around for breeders in your area , i didn't think there where any near me until i got in touch with wokka who put me in touch with one of his breeders , its near an hours drive each way but definitely worth it
Rodentfarm delivers fortnightly from Sydney to Brisbane and anywhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back