What snakes can you not keep in Australia?.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Saw an interesting post a little earlier which highlighted the fact that its illegal to keep corn snakes is Australia. This got me wondering what other species are you not allowed to keep and what's the governments logic behind this. Does it depend on where you live as to what you can legally keep or is an illegal animal an illegal animal anywhere in your country.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

It is illegle to own any exotic reptiles privately in Australia i guess because of what happened with the cane toads, They brought a few of those over here and let them go to eat some Beetles, they are now they have over run most of northern aus and all our native animals eat them and die

Last edited:
If it's not native, its illegal to posess privately.

And it's brought not brang :p

It is illegle to own any exotic reptiles privately in Australia i guess because of what happened with the cane toads, They brought a few of those over here and let them go to eat some Beatles, they are now they have over run most of northern aus and all our native animals eat them and die

Worked well all but one of the Beatles are dead and he hasn't been to Australia in many years! Beetles on the other hand still in plentiful supply.

We are not allowed to keep anything that isn't native. In oz we have so many feral animals. Exotics can also carry diseases that could desimate our local populations, some of which are already endangered. Luckily we have the best snakes anyhow. :)

All mods have to do is ensure the rules are followed. Endeavour is British. How many of us know the laws in other countries? I know I don't. In fact going by some of the more recent posts quite a few people don't even know some of their license conditions.

Yes he is a mod guys but bare in mind he lives in the UK and knows UK laws, you don't need to be local to know how to moderate B.S. posts in threads; and the only way he is going to learn more specific stuff about herp keeping in Oz is to ask.

The other part of your question Endevour is, apart from exotic species being not allowed, each state has varying rules about what species you may keep and where you you get them from. Tasmania for example has no native pythons and they are not allowed to keep pythons domestically, WA has restrictions on importing snakes from other states even if they are a legal species and they can only keep species native to WA, NSW probably has one of the best diversity of species allowed to be kept privately.

Victoria you can keep just about anything and probably has the most relaxed laws. If I wanted to I could have kept a taipan as a first snake.

All mods have to do is ensure the rules are followed. Endeavour is British. How many of us know the laws in other countries? I know I don't. In fact going by some of the more recent posts quite a few people don't even know some of their license conditions.

As you and Gruini highlight I live in The UK. I started this thread as I am trying to give people from the UK a better understanding of how you do things in Australia. As with the question I asked the other day about whether a brown nose was venomous a quick Google search would have given me the answer but to me a key part of this forum is to broaden understanding. I would ask members who leave semi sarcastic comments to ask yourself this question, do you think this is the best way to attract potential new members from other countries?, and more to the point make them feel confident enough to contribute to this fine forum?. Just a couple of things to think about there guys.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

PS If anyone wants detailed info on UK laws pertaining to keeping snakes don't bother asking me (only joking I would love to help)

-

Last edited:
Here is an example of one man's fine:

Source: Sydney man fined for keeping exotic snakes - media release 6 September 2010 viewed: 16 Dec 2012

"The federal environment department has welcomed a court decision to impose a fine on a Western Sydney man for keeping exotic snakes.Damien Sherry, 22, from Blacktown, New South Wales, has been fined $3000 for possession of six exotic snakes, which is illegal under federal environment law.
"These laws are in place to protect our wildlife and environment, to which exotic snakes pose a serious threat.
"They kill and compete with our native wildlife for food or habitat, and can introduce diseases for which our native reptiles have no immunity.
"And it encourages the illegal wildlife trade, which is an organised and notoriously cruel business. Smuggled animals suffer stress, dehydration, or starvation, and many die in transit."
Mr Sherry was charged with possession of illegally imported regulated live specimens under Section 303GN(2) of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
The maximum penalty for this offence is $110,000 fine or five years jail. If you have any information about trade in illegal wildlife or wildlife products contact the department at [email protected]
For more information about wildlife and wildlife product trade, go to:
www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/exoticanimalguide/list.html
"

He did say all but one are dead and he doesnt come to Australia... :D

Which one, Paul or Ringo? Oh Paul because Ringo has been to Aus recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw an interesting post a little earlier which highlighted the fact that its illegal to keep corn snakes is Australia. This got me wondering what other species are you not allowed to keep and what's the governments logic behind this. Does it depend on where you live as to what you can legally keep or is an illegal animal an illegal animal anywhere in your country.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

The Federal Government of Australia have never passed legislation that allows for the import or transfer of exotic reptiles to private keepers in Australia. The NSW Government had an amnesty in the late 90s that allowed those who had exotics to keep them until they passed away. They were not to be bred, sold or given away unless to a licensed zoo.

As you and Gruini highlight I live in The UK. I started this thread as I am trying to give people from the UK a better understanding of how you do things in Australia. As with the question I asked the other day about whether a brown nose was venomous a quick Google search would have given me the answer but to me a key part of this forum is to broaden understanding. I would ask members who leave semi sarcastic comments to ask yourself this question, do you think this is the best way to attract potential new members from other countries?, and more to the point make them feel confident enough to contribute to this fine forum?. Just a couple of things to think about there guys.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

PS If anyone wants detailed info on UK laws pertaining to keeping snakes don't bother asking me (only joking I would love to help)

-

Endeavour you are so correct and it would be great to see this attitude gone from this site , as being flamed down has been the main reason we lose members to other reptile forums I know a few close friends who read on this forum but never reply as they are sick of the fights they just like to see what is happening then they leave , I do it a lot myself but would be great to see it all change !!!!

Endeavour you are so correct and it would be great to see this attitude gone from this site , as being flamed down has been the main reason we lose members to other reptile forums I know a few close friends who read on this forum but never reply as they are sick of the fights they just like to see what is happening then they leave , I do it a lot myself but would be great to see it all change !!!!

Rest assured that all the Moderators on this site will do all they can to prevent this happening, we need to make both old and new members feel welcome and that their opinions and experiences matter.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Kindest regards

Endeavour

-

AS much as I like to see people from other countries on this forum. I'm here only because its a resource for Australian pythons and snakes. Potential new members from other countries? Hope this site remains primarily about Aussie pythons and snakes.... And that the overseas members have a similar passion for our herpetofauna.

Please dont confuse good old Aussie humour with what you would call semi sarcastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back