Housing tree goannas such as tristis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It's enclosure cleaning time so opportune to take some photos to show how I house my arboreal goannas:

5b9096529c615929fc31537ceebb016d.jpg

715f5232f24e190485fbfca74926f09f.jpg

Basically it's a large bunnings tub built up with melamine. They can't really be seen in the photo but the enclosure is on caster wheels so the whole contraption can be moved so that I can hose it out on the lawn. In the bottom of the tub is a drainage plug to aid this. Half way up is a platform under which is a reflector globe on a thermostat. The goannas can bask under the light or sit on the platform where it's hot. The fluoros at the top illuminate the hole enclosure. The mesh top allows the heat to escape and in the cooler months I place a board over this to keep the heat in. The front opening door gives good access. Cage furniture is in the back ground. Hollow log, ag pipes etc.

c837781bec6662bc517754712a3c8cc4.jpg

Back in use. Feeding time soon.

Last edited:
Nice work, I can see you put a lot of thought into the construction. Do you use substrate or leave it bare so that you can hose it out?

Substrate is either sand/coir peat or pellet stuff. Doesn't really matter as long as it absorbs the turds.

Another clever monitor set up design/idea, Bob.

Always good to see stuff like this from keepers' that think outside the box.

So you pull out all the substrate and then hose it out? Why couldn't you have posted this two weeks ago? I just finished building some new enclosures (just waiting on a call to say the glass is ready. Every time I build an enclosure someone comes up with a good idea that I could have used.

In twenty years time I may have the perfect enclosure lol.

Thanks for sharing.

ingenious, simple. i like it mate. well thought out. and you can use the same idea with different sized tubs to suit space/animal requirements.
well done.

Very cool setup the only changes I would make would be to have the front clear Perspex or glass so I could sit back and enjoy watching them go about their monitor business.

I've been using this design for about three years now. The original was not built up with the melamine so the top mesh panel was fixed directly onto the tub. I still use that design for ackies as they don't need the height. I'm rather sensitive to dust so tend to try ways so I'm not sweeping out enclosures. Putting enclosures on casters is an antiquated method- being able to move something heavy helps when it time to find that escapee..

Here's one of the originals hosed out and drying in the sun. Shows the casters

215adcdf38b636732abdb1fee1c7a482.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the deluxe ackie enclosure. It's one of the lower bunnings tubs which I haven't seen for sale recently. All the cage furniture is on top so imagine the tile rack and ag piping inside. The inhabitants are in the tub in the foreground.

6c7e494d8fe4e724d7fb058fe60a689d.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for sharing always good to see some afordable housing ideas that wont break the bank i have a pair of tristis imay put your idea to work or something close anyway
cheers mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back