beardie eggs please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So after a couple of years of wondering what sex our 2 beardies are we came home today to find they had made us some unexpected xmas presents. Shes laid under the fake grass in her enclosure. As this was unexpected (we were told they were both female) we need urgent help. Is there a way I can move the eggs to somewhere more comforable for her and have her incubate them herself? I dont wish to artificially incubate them as I dont have the required equipment.

Any help would be great!

Cheers Tazzy

Bearded dragons will not incubate the eggs them self. In the wild they find the appropriate spot, dig a hole, lay the eggs, bury them and never see them again..

so is there a way i can replicate that without an incubator?

- - - Updated - - -

anyone in brisbane that can help out??

They need to be at a certain temperature and a certain humidity.. i'm not 100% sure on those..
I think the tmeperature is 29 degrees but dont quote me on that

Get some damp vermiculite (Bunnings is open late here in NSW). Saturate it then squeeze it in your hand to wring out excess water. Put into a takeaway container and sit it in an esky with a couple of hot water bottles in it(Warm, not hot). You are aiming for a temp of 29-33 degrees (dont panic if youre out by a degree or two - never seen a beardy with a thermometer).
Then get yourself an incubator ASAP - beg, buy, borrow or steal one (just kidding on that last one).
Keep the vermiculite damp, air the eggs 2-3 times a week. Add 6-8 weeks of patience and you'll be crawling with hatchlings. Dont disturb them too much.
Good luck!

Hi Tazzy
I found my self in the same situation last year. Eggs and no incubator, but after a quick search on you tube I found a very simple incubator that I put together for under $70. All you need is an esky or styrofoam box, 50watt water heater, small water pump, perforated plastic tray and some bricks. I used this last year and had 100% hatch rate.
Some picks of my set up but if you look on YouTube it will show more detail. It is really so simple.

Attachments

• 20121216_170521.jpg
    20121216_170521.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20121216_170602.jpg
    20121216_170602.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 47
Mix your vermiculite at 1:1
Like, say, 100g of vermiculite to 100g of water (which is the same as 100ml)
^These are not exact measurements, just an example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back