What snakes can you not keep in Australia?.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people in other countries keep australian reptiles and where better to get their uni from than an Australian site about Australian reptiles?

Which one, Paul or Ringo? Oh Paul because Ringo has been to Aus recently.

Well that shows you how much I care about celebrities... Even though it wasnt me who made the original comment, I was sure one of them had to be dead by now too (although Paul's divorce settlement would have been enough to kill me :lol: ) and the fact that either of them had come here anytime in the last ten years is news to me. :facepalm:

Many people in other countries keep australian reptiles and where better to get their uni from than an Australian site about Australian reptiles?

Here in the UK they seem to be getting more and more popular, especially the Womas and Blackheads.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

A quick google search should turn up the list for each state, the contrast between NSW/Victoria vs say Tasmania/W.A. would be an eye opener for your friends Endevour. I'd do it for you now but I have to jump in the car and get to work before I run late.

Thanks for all the links guys there is some really interesting material to look at there , have had a quick read but will have a more detailed look tomorrow when I have more time.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

This is Queensland's info http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf . You can keep any number of reptiles on a basic Recreational Licence except venomous snakes and you can only keep two 'restricted reptiles' which are Threatened Species. Threatened species (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection) . If you want to keep more restricted reptiles you just have to pay more for the upgraded licence. A licence to keep venomous is also available but has restriction to obtaining it and I have not looked for that info.

The licensing links are the best way to get the info on availibility of species in particular states. The states do licensing quite differently. Generally speaking, the idea that 'as long as it is native' won't guarantee you the ability to get a license. Onepelli Python comes to mind and is a good example of a native species that is not allowed to be kept (rightly or wrongly, I'm not opening that can of worms).

The licensing links are the best way to get the info on availibility of species in particular states. The states do licensing quite differently. Generally speaking, the idea that 'as long as it is native' won't guarantee you the ability to get a license. Onepelli Python comes to mind and is a good example of a native species that is not allowed to be kept (rightly or wrongly, I'm not opening that can of worms).
That is exactly right. The "as long as its native" is wrong at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back