Snake Food Link

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Been lots of food threads lately asking pretty much the same questions....here is a link that has interesting reading...when i live in UK, DOChicks were only 5 pence each in bulk....so it made sense to use them ...also never heard anyone having problems either...all my Birds of prey were fed these with a mouse and rat as an occasional treat...other times i used rep vit powder...but is it nesassary??? have a Read
thumbup.gif

Suitability of day-old chicks as food for captive snakes | Kevin Arbuckle - Academia.edu

I may also say this link was sent to me by one of our Pommie members so a thanks to him for such a good read.
Ta
Pete

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting the link. I have always thought variety would be good for them and replicate their natural diet more.

Excellent study backed up by research and facts. The biggest thing people bark on about though is the vitamin A content of DOC due to the yolk still being absorbed. I have looked at tables elsewhere that states otherwise, they have very similar Vitamin A levels as rats and mice. let the Nay sayers come back with rebuttle and a study as indepth as that one to prove they aren't!

great read, really enjoyed it. wen i tell people on here that i feed my snakes day old chicks, i get told that there not as good as rats/ mice cause they havent had time to use their internal organs to eat and digest ect. well i think if thats the case then the same would go for pinkies. but everyone feeds them to their hatchies and never had a problem.

i think DOC are a good alternative and alot cheaper if you know a chicken farmer, though i feed my snakes rats/ mice and quails too.

Really interesting read, thanks for going to the effort of tracking that down.

Good work ozimid. Fantastic to have data to support what many of us have known for decades.
I have used feather as a food item in a mixed diet with any snakes that will eat them since starting to keep reptiles many years ago. If feather is so bad why do many reptiles refuse to take fur?

Good work ozimid. Fantastic to have data to support what many of us have known for decades.
I have used feather as a food item in a mixed diet with any snakes that will eat them since starting to keep reptiles many years ago. If feather is so bad why do many reptiles refuse to take fur?
Cant take credit...me mate in Uk sent me the link...good reading tho....having spent 10 yrs flying / breeding owls and hawks they always used to wry about DOC so all us falconers used to put the vit powder in a chick once a week just to make sure....but my way of thinking is a varied diet is a good diet as any snake in the wild will tell ya ....opotunist feeders...not OHHHHHHH here's a rat shuved in Ya face
bash.gif
.......all my snakes now eat mice / rats /quail and DOC's...gives me options......IM guna make a big statement........IF U HAVE A PROBLEM FEEDER OF THE ANT TYPE (stimis can be a pain) TRY A DAY OLD CHICK OR A 2 WEEK OLD QUAIL.............Worked for me....they love um
thumbup.gif
......hope this helps with all them threads i hear "MY SNAKE WONT EAT"
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif
whistling2.gif
lol.gif
no1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back