non smelly insects (for food)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox.n.Lix

Reaction score
Hiya.
my brother just got his kids a beardie and my SIL can't stnd the smell of the crickets (at least we think this is the smell source).
Are mealworms or woodies less smelly??

Thanks!!

I feed my dragons woodies but I keep them in the shed( woodies not the dragons) meal worms should only be given as a treat and not form a major part of a beardies diet bit like McDonalds for kids ! I previously had a woodie infestation in a enclosure from escapees so I now feed live food in a separate tub. You can get dried insects but I believe you need to get one of those vibrating bowls to encourage the feeding response. Also they should be offered fruit and/ or veg daily. Lots of good beardie diet guides on here, just search the threads.

woodies really STINK the stench is almost unbearable ... even when they are kept clean :)

My woodies never smelt, and I only cleaned them out once every 6 months or so.

What I REALLY REALLY hated, is when you picked them up and they shat on you.. no matter how much I scrubbed my hands it wouldn't come off for a few hours. :lol:

Make yourself a little ecosystem with woodies and mealworm beetles and you get almost no smell :)

Hiya.
my brother just got his kids a beardie and my SIL can't stnd the smell of the crickets (at least we think this is the smell source).
Are mealworms or woodies less smelly??

Thanks!!

Are you sure it's the crickets? I've never noticed a bad smell from my colonies.

What does it smell like? Beardies aren't the cleanest animals, a friends dragon stunk until it was washed. Must've dragged its tail through fecal material for a while. Perhaps try bathing the dragon, scrubbing the vent and underneath the tail to make sure it's clean.

The crickets are being fed a big tablet thing, that might be the smelly bit? what else do crickets eat?

If it is the crickets that smell add some wod chips as flooring for the crickets. The wood chips adsorb the smell and only need to be replaced every 1-2 months. If you were wondering crickets also eat sliced carrot. Don't forget to gut load your crickets as well

Last edited:
^^^ just chuck in a couple pieces of carrot and they can get moisture out of it then change it when it starts going bad.

Thanks everyone. I bought them Danny Brown's Guide to Australian Dragons in Captivity as a chrissy present, just dont have it with me at the moment. So hopefully that will sort them out.

If your crickets stink, then you either have a bad batch, bad food, or both.

I have only ever smelt my crickets once, and that's when one of my tubs got left outside and flooded by the rain. The smell was horrible to say the least.

woodies by a mile!!! plus they virtually thrive on neglect:)

I'm just going to assume you've never kept woodies... They absolutely stink.

My woodies never smelt, and I only cleaned them out once every 6 months or so.

Out of curiosity, did you ever heat your woodie tub(s)? I found that as soon as I provided heat (under tub w/heat cord) the smell became even worse. To the point where I started keeping them outside.

all insects have their own awful smell,..i found superworms can be bearable when the bran gets changed every week or 2 (far to high in fat to use as a staple tho), to reduce cricket smell make sure theyre well ventilated and dry, changing the egg carton and whatever lines the tub helps, as for woodies, i ended up setting up a 6 foot fish tank in the garage with that coconut brick stuff as substrate, tiny furry dead stuff eating worms and mealworms to take care of the recycling, that is almost stench free. As already mentioned mealworms arent a good choice of staple insect.

if youre beardy is an adult, you can just buy the tub of insects weekly, and give him a good insect feed then rather than caring for insects constantly, adults are fine with a few insects once or twice a week.

(my woodie tank is heated, it helps keep things bone dry which helps with the smell)

Not insects I know but I think snails would have to be one of the worst smelling live feeders around. I quickly moved on from that experiment.

I'm just going to assume you've never kept woodies... They absolutely stink

assumpion is a dangerous thing:lol:....................i've bred both for yrs but only woodies now simply for ease and LESS stink

Oh the joys of reptile keeping. Nothing like a good funky lizard room to block up the sinuses.

i have 2 colonies of woodies in 90 litre tubs with some peat at the bottom and heaps of mealworms they dont smell unless i throw in dog biscuits or somethin like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back