Beardys & Blueys availible in NZ (For slim6y)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Beardys & Blueys availible in NZ (For slim6y) - Not an excuse to play the VS game

Well, I learnt something new today... Apparently P. Vitticeps & P. Barbata as well as T. multifasciata are now readily availible in New Zealand as pets. Im not sure when this came into play as when I left 5 years ago, it definetely wasnt the case. Not sure what changed or if it was investigated what the impact on the enviroment would be if they ever got out (being as cold as it gets, not much IMO) but could someone shed any light on who was maybe involved in getting this through with MAF or who the first folks to be able to successfully breed and incubate the first lot for commercial sale?

I can imagine with the right husbandry it would not be a big thing to keep them happy but I would be interested to know when the rules changed and if there are plans in the future to "expand" on what reptiles are allowed to be kept there.

On a side note, look what I happened to find courtesy of Gooooogle, good for a chuckle and a laugh at the "silly" Americans. (No offense to our current American Forums members)
29-11-2012 2-54-25 PM.jpg

Last edited:
NZ, Australia, same same isn't it? I thought they just referred to the two as one country: New Zearalia:)

Well the kiwis did move 30cm closer to us about a year ago!.!.!.!.!

I only just saw this thread... Sorry... How rude, I know :)

And as for NZ reps... We do still have jewelled gex which we're allowed to keep on license... Not that I am going to do that...

As for the Aussies... Well, someone in the North Island got caught with a jungle python. For a country with no snakes, it makes me wonder how many are here and illegally kept?

Beardies etc - very expensive! I think I saw them for well over $200. Though, I'd be more keen on non-aussie reps (or amphibians) - especially red earred sliders - still quite cheap here!

I was surprised to learn that you can keep aussie frog species but no natives in NZ.

I only just saw this thread... Sorry... How rude, I know :)

And as for NZ reps... We do still have jewelled gex which we're allowed to keep on license... Not that I am going to do that...

As for the Aussies... Well, someone in the North Island got caught with a jungle python. For a country with no snakes, it makes me wonder how many are here and illegally kept?

Beardies etc - very expensive! I think I saw them for well over $200. Though, I'd be more keen on non-aussie reps (or amphibians) - especially red earred sliders - still quite cheap here!

$200 is cheap
When I left NZ 5 years about they were wanting $2000 each for blue tongues, and about the same for Texas bearded dragons, I have not seen Australian bearded dragons for sale in NZ but I have not been to an NZ pet shop in 5 years so that might have changed,
Red earred sliders have been around for as long as I can remember in NZ, can't remember what they were going for when I left.
What are they going for these days?
About 7 years about I was in an NZ pet store and there was a little tank with about 5-6 1cm long fire salamanders in it, I can't remember price on them,

- - - Updated - - -

When I lived in NZ you were aloud to catch from the wild and only the very rare ones did you need a license for,
What are the laws now?

I was surprised to learn that you can keep aussie frog species but no natives in NZ.

There's a pest aussie frog over here I believe... Yet quite rare in Aussie... I'd like to start an export system :) (I think it's the green and golden bell frogs that were introduced).

DOC suggests NZ had 7 species of native frogs, but 3 are now extinct. Two of the remaining have only a couple of hundred individuals left... So on the extreme rare case - this would be why most people in NZ will never see a native frog... Not to mention they're so damned difficult to find.

I was just getting used to frogs all over my house in Cairns - unfortunately, none here... And no gex running and yak yak yakking all through the night either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back