Feeding live foods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
How do you feed your live foods??
I feed crickets straight in to the tank a few at a time so the cannot hide.

Silkworms I do a few at a time as a treat in front of the dragons.

Meal worms I just chuck a few on the salad one a week.

When it comes to woodies however, I struggle. If I put them in the enclosure they hide, then breed then steal salad. I tried a bowl with a fluon lip but the stand in it and again I get escapees. Do people move to a feeding tub with fluon lip?? I'm thinking of going back to crickets for this reason. Only thing is woodies are free.

I'd love to hear how you do it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a feeding bowl with fluon around the side. The only escapees are when my monitor lose control of them during feeding time, but the odd 1 or 2 won't be breeding in the enclosure for sure! I keep monitors so no salads and the enclosure is dryer, so it's a pretty hostile environment for woodies to survive I guess.

I've found that if you use either a feeding tub (for larger animals) or a large based bucket (for smaller animals), put in the calcium/multivitamin powder then chuck in your woodies. Give them a quick swish around so they are coated by the powder and then they struggle to crawl up the side. Then I put the animal in & let them have their fill. I always sit by & watch cause you will still get the odd woodie manage to crawl out & I just flick them back in!

I just gave the big feeding tub a go.. works nice for most the crew. the water dragons are to big and to dumb to work out if trying to feed them.. they are just so flighty. lol worked good for the beardies though.

I use either a feeding tub (large tub I put lizards in individually and throw feed in) or get them out on the floor and let the animals chase the feed one at a time. Depends how many animals I have at any one time.

I've found that if you use either a feeding tub (for larger animals) or a large based bucket (for smaller animals), put in the calcium/multivitamin powder then chuck in your woodies. Give them a quick swish around so they are coated by the powder and then they struggle to crawl up the side. Then I put the animal in & let them have their fill. I always sit by & watch cause you will still get the odd woodie manage to crawl out & I just flick them back in!

thats what i do

i only have small monitors and dragons an just feed them 1 by 1,that way they tolerate me interacting with them ever so slightly.specially the tristis

I hand feed them 1 at a time :)

I'm hoping that i'll be able to continue doing it when I get some tristis?

I put the tub of woodies in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, this slows them down enough for my beardies to catch and eat them.
I also do it with the crickets. I can move the insects from the tub into another with vitamin and calcium powder, shake them about and place them into the enclosure with out any escaping and the beardies get them all before they warm up and take off and hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back