Jobs in the industry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomous_RBB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering where to go to find vacant paid positions in the industry?
I am mainly looking for a position as I love reptiles, I keep reptiles, I have my own transport, I am happy to travel for the right position.
I have volunteered in the zoological industry, I have done my HSC, Animal Studies Cert 2 and 3 and I just generally love reptiles. I am just not sure where to look, I have typed into google, looked on here and have come up with nothing so far.
Thanks everyone :)

searching reptile related jobs in the search bar will forward your to numerous threads

Small industry, paid vacant positions aren't really advertised and definitely aren't vacant very long...

Oh right, didnt see it, sorry mate.
I am just curious to know where people can look/advertise for jobs. I know there are some volunteer places around, which I wouldnt mind doing but I would love to work in the industry itself.

Herp related work is pretty slim, and you could be waiting a while for a job. Positions aren't advertised often, and those that are usually get snaffled pretty quickly.

If I was you I would get in touch with the Australian Reptile Park. I would let them know my experience in the industry, qualifications, etc, and offer to begin working as a part time volunteer with the hope of filling a paid position when it comes up. You will also establish networks within the industry, and likely be the first to know should anything pop-up in another part of the country. This doesn't only apply to the ARP, but would be sensible given your proximity.

Volunteer work may not sound attractive, but I bet most people working in herp related jobs in Australia have made similar sacrifices along the way.

All the best,
Dan

What DanN said. Another option could be to take out a loan with a business plan and get into high end morph breeding..

Herp related work is pretty slim, and you could be waiting a while for a job. Positions aren't advertised often, and those that are usually get snaffled pretty quickly.

If I was you I would get in touch with the Australian Reptile Park. I would let them know my experience in the industry, qualifications, etc, and offer to begin working as a part time volunteer with the hope of filling a paid position when it comes up. You will also establish networks within the industry, and likely be the first to know should anything pop-up in another part of the country. This doesn't only apply to the ARP, but would be sensible given your proximity.

Volunteer work may not sound attractive, but I bet most people working in herp related jobs in Australia have made similar sacrifices along the way.

All the best,
Dan

Thank you, I have been thinking of the ARP but it is like 2 hours away and the fuel prices going up, as well as many animals to feed and currently not getting enough work, it will be a massive struggle, thanks anyway :)

I'd follow up oakdale farm given your location.

I have already volunteered at Oakvale farm, I didnt like it at all, will not say the reasons on here but lets just say I didnt like the husbandry side of things.

What DanN said. Another option could be to take out a loan with a business plan and get into high end morph breeding..

Ha ha I wish, I dont currently have the right job to get out a loan and pay it back safely.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

You could have all the qualifications in the world but unfortunately in the herp world it is all about who you know not so much as what.

You could have all the qualifications in the world but unfortunately in the herp world it is all about who you know not so much as what.

I agree completely, I just got those qualifications to further my knowledge, even though I have grown up with animals from fur,feather,scales,skin/slime (amphibians).

Alot of positions will be offered to people who have volunteerd for the employer previously, I know the ARP does this as well as zoos.
Mite be worth volunteering and showing that you're interested and have your head screwed on, never know when they mite be looking for someone and no doubt they'll ask you first

Not much for reading huh?

One of the main questions I wanted to know is where do I look for them? I know there arn't many positions that arise, and when they do they go super fast. I am just unsure where to look for them.
So yeah I do read I was just asking You ​where I can look for them so I can keep an eye on the places that they do come up.

- - - Updated - - -

Alot of positions will be offered to people who have volunteerd for the employer previously, I know the ARP does this as well as zoos.
Mite be worth volunteering and showing that you're interested and have your head screwed on, never know when they mite be looking for someone and no doubt they'll ask you first

Thank's heaps, I just wish I didnt live so far away from it.

I have my own transport, I am happy to travel for the right position.
You're either keen to do the hard yards or your not. When I left school I did some Maritime courses because I always wanted to work on boats (Fishing Charters, Ferries etc.) but that industry was a lot of unpaid volunteer stuff to begin with unless you joined the Navy or new someone in the industry. I needed money at the time so chose a completely different career path all together. Sort your priorities out because I dont think its as simple as snapping your fingers and getting your dream job...especially without a university education.

You're either keen to do the hard yards or your not. When I left school I did some Maritime courses because I always wanted to work on boats (Fishing Charters, Ferries etc.) but that industry was a lot of unpaid volunteer stuff to begin with unless you joined the Navy or new someone in the industry. I needed money at the time so chose a completely different career path all together. Sort your priorities out because I dont think its as simple as snapping your fingers and getting your dream job...especially without a university education.

I have done a lot of volunteer work, still doing it, I am not stupid and am realistic, I was merely asking people what place I can find jobs on - websites, links etc.
I am know I am not going to just click my fingers and wow I have a job, otherwise I would not have asked on here, I would of just clicked my fingers.
Also I do not wish, nor want to go to university, there is many jobs around with animals that I do not require this. I do not wish to study the science of animals or anything else, I do not want to become a veterinarian (couldnt stand putting down animals).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back