True or fales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie_James

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My wife just said to me that if a cat bites or scratches a snake the snake will be dead in 72 hours from its saliva, Especially if its a house cat. Never heard it sound very mission impossible to me. Let me know! :shock:

I know they contain venom. Which is why when some people are scratched they swell up slightly and it's itchy. Although it isn't harmful to humans, I am not sure of its danger to a snake.

Nope, false! I knew a guy who bred olives and a baby got out of the tub and the cat had a go at itt. Thankfully the snake made it under he couch and the guy found him with scratches and bite marks. Snake is still alive but has a few scars.

False. One of my Stimis escaped one night and came across the cat, had a few scales missing from the encounter but no long term damage. The cat on the other hand has never forgotten it. Couldn't work out why the cat was petrified under our bed for the rest of the night until i noticed the snake missing in the morning, poor puss must have got a few tags on the nose i reckon.

Venomous cats...well...:rolleyes:

Bacteria

Cat claws carry a bacteria called Bartonella which can potentially lead to "cat scratch fever" in humans. But i have rescued a keel back from my pet cat and i released him the next day and he seemed fine. :)

I know they contain venom. Which is why when some people are scratched they swell up slightly and it's itchy. Although it isn't harmful to humans, I am not sure of its danger to a snake.

No cats are venomous in any way
BUT
Wild cats often eat rotten meat
then their teeth and claws are bacteria heaven
so a bite or scratch from one of them often will give wicked infections

Leopards and cheetahs are pretty infamous in this area
with many deaths resulting from subsequent infection rather than the bite

It is not uncommon for a reptile to die after what seems a minor injury from a cat attack. May it be from the internal injuries sustained, the bacteria from the cats mouth or claws, shock or a combination of these factors who's to say. If your worried, get rid of the cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back