End of the World - Today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
I hear people telling me what they'd LIKE to do, but I wouldn't mind hearing a list of what people WON'T be doing!

I for one won't be spending 3hrs of my valuably time today fixing up a discrepancy on my Telstra bill :D After tomorrow I won't be needing a phone :lol:

(Ps: look out for all the looneys today! I'm amazed at how many people honestly think the place will erupt into a fireball at 10pm :lol:)

Is that 10pm EST or do we from WA get to live longer? ;-)

My girlfriend is flying over the int. time line tonight, so she will get an extra day.

I wont wrap the Christmas presents I got people. Not much point if they are going to be vaporized.

I reckon The Mayan calendar running out only means you need to go buy a new Mayan calendar.

I don't believe the world is ending because The Maya's didn't really believed in endings: their conception of time was circular, with every end being the beginning of something new. So, 2012 shouldn't be an exception

Oh it's around just in a different form
henetu4u.jpg

I reckon The Mayan calendar running out only means you need to go buy a new Mayan calendar.

That's the beauty of the Mayan calendar - you don't have to. This marks the end of the 'long count', the longest chronological dating system in the Mayan calendar, which lasts just over 5,000 years (key point, remember this)...
The calendar we work on today is superficial, based on solar, lunar, and seasonal cycles. It has a completely different chronology to the Maya system. For tens of thousands of years they mapped out solar, lunar, seasonal, and celestial cycles - pretty much as many as they saw before it all came around again. Note - TENS of thousands of years, over a just over 5,000 year long-count calendar. Basically, the 21/12/2012 is the end of as many celestial cycles as the Maya witnessed and the beginning of it all again.
Not a new awakening, definitely not an apocalypse, just a bunch of people freaking out over an extended new year and the cycle beginning all over again. In the same note we could begin to be concerned that the 31st of December is almost upon us... Stock your cellars everyone!

Lucky for us APS has a really sweet looking calendar!

On a side note, does anyone know if the Mayan's kept reptiles?

The date on the Mayan calendar yesterday -12:9:9:9:9

The date on the Mayan calendar today -13:0:0:0:0

The date on the Mayan calendar tomorrow -13:0:0:0:1

But that doesn't make much of a story, does it..?

Lucky for us APS has a really sweet looking calendar!

On a side note, does anyone know if the Mayan's kept reptiles?

I know one of their legends included the eating of the sun each day by a feathered serpent...

You all forget the Justin Bieber, Nikkie Minaf, One Direction and Jersey Shore all became mainstream 7 months ago. Thats a better sign that the world is doomed than any other :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back