The most terrifying night of my life!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlaw0786

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I thought I might share with you all an experience that still affects me to this day, I swear to you all what I'm about to say is the honest truth and I wish this upon no one, apart from a few close family and friends I really haven't told anyone until now.

(if you don't like lengthy stories maybe this isn't for you, I just feel that I've gotta get this off my chest..)

It was about 5 years ago now when me and my best friend went camping at Mt ku-ring-gai, it was nothing unusual for us as this was a common thing for us to do, so anyway we thought we might try out a new area that we haven't been before so instead of going east from the Mt ku-ring-gai train station down towards the bobbin head area where we have camped a few times already we decided to head west from the train station down what I think is apart of the great north walk and headed into the bush where we spent most of the day hiking deep into the valleys, we eventually found a spot by mid afternoon and set up camp and everything was perfect, we went for a swim and a little exploring around the area then went back to camp to organise the fire and dinner.

With in an hour or so it was pitch black and all you could hear was the bugs going off... It wasn't long before we decided to grab our torches and head down the creek to see if we could spot some frogs and pythons in the trees or on the banks, After about an hour or so we returned and were quiet tired so we opened our tent and jumped straight in and before we knew it we had jumped straight out in panic!!! Our tent was crawling with spiders and no we didn't place the tent on a nest because this was multiple species, There was numerous wolf spiders, At least 4 red backs, a big funnel web in the corner, and god knows what other species were in there, I have no idea how we didn't get bitten but we were freaking out, there would have been 30 to 40 spiders in that tent, so many that we were watching some of them eating each other. and no the tent had no holes in it, it was a brand new tent!!!

so after carefully sealing the tent back up so they wouldn't come out we started to think hey, how the hell can this be possible I could understand 1 or 2 spiders MAYBE, but this is ridiculous!!!
after about 10 minutes or so me and my mate heard some noises coming from out in the scrub somewhere so were both shining our torches around trying to see what it was, rite then a loud thump caught our attention we looked over and it was the most terrifying moment of my life seeing an adult man about 20 metres away behind some ferns with a thick black beard staring straight at us, before We knew it he ran off through some bush and we were left shaking and petrified.. We finally got through to the cops after numerous attempts due to weak signal only for them to say that they can't help us and that the area were in is not safe and to grab our stuff and get out, they gave us no reason and basically just wished us luck....

we then grabbed a couple of tent pegs and a small shovel to help protect our selves (it was basically the best weapons we had) and decided to leave our tent and everything in it behind and headed out along the track back towards civilisation, The time now was at least 11pm and we had a good 3-4hrs of walking through dark bush land before we got out of there..

within 5 minutes or so we could here someone following us about 20 metres or so off track but could not spot him with the torches, within a few seconds of us stopping his noise would stop too, so because we were freaking out and were extremely frustrated we decided to get aggressive and started yelling at him and threw rocks in his direction, this had no effect and this continued for the next kilometre or two, we started to get so scared it was hard to walk and we couldn't yell anymore so we just grabbed each other around the shoulders and helped each other keep walking. About half way out of there we started hearing someone else following us to the left side of the track but we just kept walking as fast as we could.. We then had rocks and large branches getting thrown and smashing into the trees around us so we started running after a few minutes it went quiet and we thought we had lost them so we just kept on marching...

What felt like an eternity was finally coming to an end as we could see street lights in the distance through the bush, but all of a sudden we heard a moan and some rustling to our left and started sprinting towards the lights as we were running I quickly looked back with my torchlight flying all over the place and could see the same bloody man we seen at the camp site running up the track behind us, we started screaming and running like we have never run before and before we knew it we had reached a quiet suburban street with houses, we got half way up the street before turning around and realising this guy wasn't there, he stayed in the bush, that's when I started too get wobbly knees and fell over, my mate helped me up and we got to the railway station and called the cops. By now it was just after 3am and we were exhausted, amazingly they turned up with in 5 mins and comforted us and listened to our unbelievable story and surprisingly they were not shocked at all and said this has happened before but gave us no details as to who was doing this or why this was happening.....

To this day I have no idea who these people where or the reasoning behind all this but it still brings goosebumps all over when I think of it.. It took me years to gather up the courage to enter the bush again and only this year did I manage to fight my fears and go camping.....

I hope this never happens to anyone and for everyone that has read this DON'T EVER CAMP IN THE KU-RING-GAI AREA!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I don't go camping! Personally, the spiders in this story scare me more. Which is why I don't go camping.

Do you know if the land is occupied? If there are locals living on the land, they may just want to keep people away.

I'd go back with a shotgun see how long he follows ya for then! Whilst yelling at him for throwing sticks and rocks ask how he like you throwing lead at him

i think that guy you saw has to much time on his hands and probably scares people for fun. i think a whole bunch of people lets say 20-30 of your mates should go camp their and if any crazy guy with a beard does that again feel free to lock him in a tent full of spiders then chase him back into the bush while throwing rocks at him.

if that happened to me i would be there the next night with all my mates and all my dogs and i would not be running but laughing at this guys attemps.

glad you can go camping again, thats really horrible what he done to you and your mate.

thats so freaky me my boyfriend and 4 mates were thinking of going camping there the weekend after next i dont think ill be attending after hearing that or not without guns at least

At least you now know where the spiders came from. Nice guy using red-backs and a funnel web. Sounds like a crim or an absolute looney.... perhaps both?

I had a couple of mates in the scouts. Part of a particular badge they were going for required them to camp, unsupervised, in bushland overnight. Four of them were dropped off in a patch of scrub at Helensburgh one Saturday afternoon, to be collected from the same spot 10am next morning. After an unsuccessful hour plus of looking for somewhere suitable to pitch the tent, they came across a barbed wire fence at the edge of the scrub. On the other side was a grassy paddock with good access down to the creek. They reckoned where to camp was immediately a no-brainer and so they tossed all their gear over and climbed through the fence.

The tent was an older style back then – no inbuilt floor but a separate ground sheet. They stayed awake til about 1 am telling ghost stories to try and freak each other out. Around 2 am this huge monster half entered the tent and let out a blood-curdling roar at deafening volume. Well... bodies went in four different directions at a rate of knots, up and running before they had even got completely out of their sleeping bags. It was pitch black and they each disappeared into the night. Come daylight, three of them found each other and worked out what had happened. A cow had stuck its head in the tent and bellowed. It took them nearly an hour to locate number four. He was about 20m up a tree and was not coming down in a hurry….

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting! I just looked at the area on Google maps and from the looks of it you were on Benowie Walking Track and pretty far in if you were near the water. You had quite the hike out there, glad you made it back. Can you give anymore detail on the man?

there is an aracnologist up there lives in the bush up there i heard the same story on a spider keepers forum.... cool story linkage

- - - Updated - - -

explains the different species of spiders and y so many and how they got in ur tent

Creepy, but an interesting way to get your kicks. I don't think I will go camping after reading that. It would have taken forever to gather all those spiders.

You have officially freaked me out! Now everytime we go camping I'll be clinging to my dad's arm, that is one hell of a scary story :shock:

Either just a nutter as Blue said or perhaps even one of the 'black listed' residents. If you don't know who they are do a quick google and realize how stupid some of laws are and how pathetic our government can be.

Yeah,yeah,yeah, sounds like a typical dope growers scare tactics to keep people from finding their patch.

We always tell non locals of the sharks around our favourite surf breaks.

Gee wiz, logical conclusion would be spiders were put into the tent and to not piss my pants. lol...
As for a guy with a beard in the bush ? He gets his **** kicked in no time flat .
Teach the weirdo whats what,, trying to scare people or worse ???????.
Maybe he gets hog tied for the cops to collect.

No natives in that area mate. I know the area pretty well, there's heaps of old hermits about the place down there. We used to run into them all the time round the berowra bush. Also all the crops are grown on the other side of the train tracks, to the east. There's no houses that way and no great north walk. Dogs and shotguns probably not a good idea either, considering one side of the fwy is all houses, and the other side is national park.

No natives in that area mate. I know the area pretty well, there's heaps of old hermits about the place down there. We used to run into them all the time round the berowra bush. Also all the crops are grown on the other side of the train tracks, to the east. There's no houses that way and no great north walk. Dogs and shotguns probably not a good idea either, considering one side of the fwy is all houses, and the other side is national park.

Must be true then. I like the bit about them running up the fire trail with torchlight, while being persued by a bloke who could keep up but he was in the scrub next to the track at night. He must be one of those super-fit hermits that can see in the dark.

At least you now know where the spiders came from. Nice guy using red-backs and a funnel web. Sounds like a crim or an absolute looney.... perhaps both?

Also, if that Funnel Web bit and killed one of them, then he's a murderer in my book.

I would be going back there to camp with mates I can trust, and baseball bats. And I would use them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back