whats the cost of albinos on todays market

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd really love to one day buy one of FAY's darwins, the pattern on them are awsome. but i am happy with my albino darwin male for now and plan on breeding him with a het female darwin next year if not then the year after. i'm in love with darwins and own 5 of them, normals, het, hypo and albino.

Actually, you can get a pretty good idea of the pattern and colour if you know what you are looking at. Dark pink/red turns white in adults. A white colour turns a light flouro yellow. Different shades of yellow turn yellow and orange. The dark bits on
Fay's hatchling will turn into white. Not many albinos have so much true white. Those that do will rarely be advertised on the forum because they sell so quickly.

Yes, I've had albinoes, and the pattern is always there, as in any snake. The colour is a different story though.You may have more of an idea at the 6-12month age, but very difficult as a hatchling. I am sure that the people who breed dozens of them would get an eye for hatchlings that may be a bit different to the rest of the clutch and earmark for holdbacks etc, but you have to admit it's a stab. An educated guess at best to say how they will turn out three yrs later.

Last edited:
Mine hasn't yet, they just seem to get BETTER with every shed.
Agreed. Mine are 5 years old and fantastic. More melanistic species seem to dull with age, but the albinos don't. All of the colours are only fully visible in full spectrum light. In sunlight the flouro colours pop and glow, the oranges deepen - they are spectacular. I indoor flourescent light, they never show up properly and the wrong lamp choice can make them look like big bananas!

This is our lil girl at 4mths
yjuquvy3.jpg

And her at 12 mths
2e8e2u8y.jpg

Mine hasn't yet, they just seem to get BETTER with every shed.

The father of your girl has just turned 9 and is still looking as bright as he did when he was a pup.

Honestly are any ordinary or ugly? Sure there are better ones depending on individual taste but I think u'd be flatout to find an ugly one.

Honestly are any ordinary or ugly? Sure there are better ones depending on individual taste but I think u'd be flatout to find an ugly one.

True, it's an "eye of the beholder" thing but I guess some patterns are more striking than others.

For the newbies wanting albino hatchlings, just get ones that are feeding. I have had a few people complain to me about their cheaper non feeders. Its not worth it.
If they are good feeders and you breed them down the track, pattern and colour won't matter that much... in a clutch of 15-20 eggs you will get absolute standouts right through to plain jane. The genes are there even in the plainer ones to throw better ones in a clutch.

Never buy ANY snake that isn't feeding well! I won't sell mine until they are eating consistently, as is the case with most breeders. However, some people chase a deal and buy ones that haven't started feeding. As you say - not worth it!

Agree + pythonmum...CHEAP can be often not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think anyone has said any are ugly.

Thanks to members who use PM to recommend breeders and sellers of animals instead name them in open forum. We can't use open forum for this information. Reason is protection of our sponsors who paying for the aps running expense. If breeder is not sponsor, don't name him in open forum, use PM. Well done.

At the end of the day When the Albino gene becomes more common ( which it has ) you have to look at it has starting all over again basically you've got a $80 snake with a gene that creates pigment turned off. Altho they look nice they are extremely common with some breeders I know having 6-8 full clutches of albinos, the price for albino Darwins should and will be under $500 but alot of people are holding there cards close to there chest to get the most money they can for them from people that dot have connections/know people that breed. If your just a regular keeper that looks over the forums or reptile classifieds then you are looking at the hobby from a extremely diffirent point of view then those that know people that breed animals in numbers but don't care about the money but just too cover the costs. Either people will sell them for $500 this season or in 2-3 seasons those will be kept to breed $80 snakes. When I see albino Darwins I see an $80 snake with a gene that's quickly becomeing more common, if anything I would buy them now from reputable breeders just so I know there isn't any giraffe in the boodline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back