Any Terrifying Tales Anyone?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was about 8 or 9 I always used to go hunting for lizards on our property. We had a few good dead stumps that always had frogs, lizard, occasional huge grey spiders (?some species of huntsman?), and occasional snakes living under them. I never worried to much about the snakes - if I turned over a stump with a snake under it I would just move on to the next one. Those spiders freaked me out more!

One day I was "Lizard-hunting" with some cousins when I turned over a stump. I saw a movement and thinking it was a lizard I quickly put my hand down onto it to catch it. I almost immediately realised I had put my hand onto a baby copperhead and it was whipping back and forth under my hand. I'm sure it was only 2 seconds, but it felt like 10! Luckily it didn't decide to turn around and bite, I only had it pinned around the middle of its back.

Easy, first time I'd had a chance to sleep in 3 days. I would've slept upside down under water if I'd had to.

I remember those days, dont miss them though.

A similar story happened to one of my mates when we were deployed in Afghanistan except he was silly enough to freak and grab it. Turned out to be a harmless Rat Snake (We think) but I still crack up laughing at the 3 other guys (including him) screaming at the top of their lungs with a snake calmly sitting in his bag wondering where the big warm water bottle went to. Luckily we moved him out of his warm house and into another covered area before the guys got their brains into gear. They didnt get much sleep that night but it made an interesting change from the scorpions.

It was taken over 10 years ago on the old wind through disposable camera my mate had, for the young members here there was a thing called film which the pictures were on and then you would have take that somewhere to get developed, and if you were really lucky you could actually see what you had taken a picture of if you had wound it on properly and didn't end up hith 2 half pictures per frame, no idea where it is now.

I remember film a bit off topic but i worked in a photo lab and funny how people thought noone saw what they took photos of on those things omg ive seen it all bahahahhahaha

Cathy

IMG_1419.JPG
Maybe not terrifying but startling at the least.
This morning whilst getting the food bowl out, someone came over to say hi.
The moment after the picture was taken she lunged at my right eyeball and tried to eat it.
Having a lizard tongue your eye is not very pleasant.

There were some great stories there!

hahaha thats awesome! Pretty looking tiger also!

I've been wondering when I would do the same thing! But I could only hope to be as lucky as you and pin the head with my foot. They use their camo very well! ;)

My biggest worry is stepping on the grey thread-like tail of a hidden Tiger. There's no way you'd notice the tail and the snake could easily swing around and get you before you knew what had happened. And even the most brightly coloured Tigers can be hard to see in some light.

Update: I managed to find that snake again yesterday (5 days later). It was one of six Tigers I came across that day. I even got to see it doing some hunting so it certainly seems to be OK.

This is typical hunting behaviour of wild Tiger Snakes. They actively move around poking their heads deep into grass and debris, looking for frogs and other small prey:

TIGER SNAKE Looking For Breakfast - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back