Venomous from the US

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin236

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of acquiring my 1000 hours of training to get my venomous permit to keep privately. So I get to work with some really cool venomous snakes and I thought I would share a few pictures. Sorry for the bad cell phone quality pictures.

Monocle Cobra
563743_252063988255753_150673946_n_zps413c3976.jpg

425724_252063918255760_894334219_n_zps23240d78.jpg

Pigmy Rattlesnake
380365_252063314922487_1563112519_n_zps6c9ac931.jpg

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
392146_251009041694581_1066754021_n_zpsd3437eff.jpg

West African Gaboon Viper
480808_251009095027909_9393048_n_zps5c246cdc.jpg

Copperhead
6354_251008995027919_706182591_n_zps1b75f6af.jpg

I'm not familiar with the rules and regs of the US, but you have to do training to be able to keep vens? That's fantastic :)

Some very nice looking snakies there, that pygmy rattlesnake is so cute, I bet when it bites, it doesn't even have venom, it just kills you with an overdose of adorable!
Poor gaboon viper looks like someone stepped on its head. :p

Niiice......doesn't the West African Gaboon Viper have the largest fangs? Very nice!

I'm not familiar with the rules and regs of the US, but you have to do training to be able to keep vens? That's fantastic :)

Some very nice looking snakies there, that pygmy rattlesnake is so cute, I bet when it bites, it doesn't even have venom, it just kills you with an overdose of adorable!
Poor gaboon viper looks like someone stepped on its head. :p

In my state they require 1000 hours of training with a current permit holder to get a permit to keep venomous at your home. The Pigmy's are actually the main reason I'm getting my permit. And yeah it does look like his head was stepped on haha!
Niiice......doesn't the West African Gaboon Viper have the largest fangs? Very nice!
Yes indeed it does, up to 55mm or 2 inches!

Yeah that pygmy rattle is so cute, it's just ridiculous. Kind of stupid that anyone in Aus can go out, pay their money and buy a Taipan the next day. At this point I am currently allowed to have a crocodile in my bath-tub, as many poisonous snakes as I like - but I need a test and a license to dive a car in case I hurt someone or myself. Really???

Awwwww! The pygmy rattler is such a cutie-pie I would love to work with venomous snakes!!! They are so cool :D But that's where the folks draw the line *sigh*....well until I'm legal age anyway :lol: My dad would love some vens in the house :D

What vens are you looking at keeping Austin? If I was in the US I'd want a diamond back rattlesnake and a bush viper ;)

Last edited:
That's only because you are in Victoria Xeaal. Not anyone in Australia can do that.

Most other states have stricter rules and only a couple allow the keeping of crocs.

thats awesome cool pics thanks for sharing

Yeah that pygmy rattle is so cute, it's just ridiculous. Kind of stupid that anyone in Aus can go out, pay their money and buy a Taipan the next day. At this point I am currently allowed to have a crocodile in my bath-tub, as many poisonous snakes as I like - but I need a test and a license to dive a car in case I hurt someone or myself. Really???
Yeah venomous snakes aren't exactly something to take lightly. I always say if your heart isn't jumping out of your throat every time you deal with a venomous animal then you shouldn't be dealing with them. It's when you get comfortable and complacent that you get bit. I totally agree 100% with the 1000hrs of experience for venomous, nobody should be able to just go out and buy a venomous snake.

Awwwww! The pygmy rattler is such a cutie-pie I would love to work with venomous snakes!!! They are so cool :D But that's where the folks draw the line *sigh*....well until I'm legal age anyway :lol: My dad would love some vens in the house :D

What vens are you looking at keeping Austin? If I was in the US I'd want a diamond back rattlesnake and a bush viper ;)

Thanks! yeah I'd wait till your 18 that gives ya 4 more years of practice with hooks. I mainly want to keep Pigmy Rattlesnakes but I really want some Desert phase Death Adder's. I basically want small viper's, nothing I have to get too hands on with.

thats awesome cool pics thanks for sharing
No problem, thanks for looking :D

Oh I LOVE the West African Gaboon Viper!!!! I watched a show on them some time ago and fell madly in love with them!! Id love to see one!!! Congrats and a very amazing lot you have there!!

They are really cool Austin. As much as I'd hate to be doing all those hours for a permit, in reality it's the right thing to ensure people have a clue to what they're getting themselves in for. The state of Victoria here is a little backward in that regard (and hopefully never proves to become a problem).

While I completely agree with licencing hots
I think 1000 hours is a bit over the top
For someone who is working that is 1 year assuming they can do 20 hours per week extra
Especially when you consider that snake relocator/rescuer in Florida is a 5 day course??

What snakes with milder venom can you keep without a licence??
boiga dendrophila? other colubrids like red neck keelbacks or ones like cottonmouths which are native to Florida anyway? etc etc
Or do you need licence for any ven??

For someone who is working that is 1 year assuming they can do 20 hours per week extra
Especially when you consider that snake relocator/rescuer in Florida is a 5 day course??

boiga dendrophila? other colubrids like red neck keelbacks or ones like cottonmouths which are native to Florida anyway? etc etc
I know in California you can keep any native to California hot. I think a 1000 hours is a little over the top to, but it does help deter people who don't want to take the time to learn how to keep venomous snakes the proper and safe way. For that I think it's a good idea.

Cali
It would be interesting to know exactly what is classed as hot
Boiga dendrophila used to be in Europe but now off the hot list there
Is there a national list of hots?
Or is it up to each state to say??

In California you can keep native hots like corals western rattlers and sidewinders??
but do you need a licence for native hots or only exotics??

Cali

In California you can keep native hots like corals western rattlers and sidewinders??
I have never seen a national list, but if there is one I would like to see it. In California you do not have to have a permit to keep any California native venomous. You do have to have a 1000 hours exp. and a permit to keep any non native.

Florida Fish and Wildlife are doing classes that will automatically give you 500 hours but that is with the people who issue you the permit so they know you had the experience. I could get one of my many friends to sign me off on my hours but I would rather have a full year of experience than little to none before keeping anything bigger than a pigmy rattlesnake. As for rear fanged colubrids I beleive you may need a license for some species in my state like the Mangrove Snake and I believe False Water Cobra's too, not 100% on that though. Any native venomous you need a license for such as Water Moccasin's, Copperheads, Coral Snakes, Pigmy Rattler's, Eastern Diamondback Rattler's, Western Diamondback Rattler's and Canebrake Rattler's.

Cali

It's up to each state, and I don't know of a national HOT list in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back