Weighing Scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to what digital scales they use?

Im looking for one fairly sensitive as its for geckos, snakes aswel.

If there is one made specifically for reptiles that would be great, thanks.

I use digital kitchen scales for my smaller snakes and dragon under 2kg's,works well,but not sure how sensitive it would be for geckos

I used digital scales from woolies under $15 called propert 5kg round glass top digital scales they weigh from 1g works well on my gecko eggs.

Something like this?

No non sponsor links thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this?

They might be ok you would just need to find a container that would sit on the top without the scales jumping then tare the weight of the container and put whatever you want to weigh in or even a small pillow slip like bag would do the trick..

These look a bit better for what you want

​non non sponsor links thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of those and they are s-hopeless never same weight and gecko take off movement affects weight no container fit on if larger container is used you can't see weight IMO and experience where as the round glass one fits takeaway container on with room to spare plus the lettuce crisper for large reptiles.

Sorry Sniper, yeah will probably have a look at woolies Gonemad and get some later.

google scales direct........look for postal scales.

IMG_0364.jpgIMG_0363.jpg

Went out and bought the $15 one from woolies, works great!
Reptiles dont like the idea of it though ;)
Cheers, James

Hanging Scales can get the job done too, and are sometimes much easier to use than trying to get your animal to hold still on a bench top. Some are quite sensitive. Give eBay a squizz.

Yeah these scales are good but probably not sensitive enough for baby gex that weigh under 1g.
Ill look into hanging scales, thanks

hit ebay for larger jewellers scales

weigh up to 1kg
accurate to 0.01grams

put junk food container on scales
zero scales
add gecko
read weight

easy peasy

The hanging scales Focus reffered to are probably what is called a Spring Balance. They come in a range of scales. You can tare them with a plastic zip lock bag (or cloth bag) and then add what is to be weighed to the bag. The animal doe not remain in the bag for more than the few seconds it takes you to weigh them. These sort of scales are ideal in the field. You only need three or four scales to cover the full range of weights, they take up very little room and they they are resistant to damage from being bumped around.

For the scales you bought, find some suitable sized takeaway containers for different sized animals. A few holes in the top will alleviate any concerns tou might have of air access. Let the animal settle and then you can weigh it.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back