what size and watt heat cord????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
hey guys i have never used heat coed before and i'm just wondering what length and wattage i need? i have a 300mmx300mm tile to go over it, and also does the cord need to be routed into the floor or can it be set up another way as the enclosure is already made, and how far does the cord have to be apart
its for a BHP hatchie

I'm curious about this too especially regarding how to attach the thermostat sensor and what temp to set it too...

I have seen in other threads people have taken a piece of timber and routed an S shape into it to hold the cord and then put the tile on top and when doing so for a shelf they have drilled some holes in to the S to let some of the heat out through the bottom of the shelf which is what I am planning for my new enclosure for Skittles. Do you put the probe onto the tile so it reads the surface temp? What temp would you have your basking ledge? Can I get a Thermostat that can read for two devices as I want to run my halogen down light from one as well?

Sorry for the highjack BB but it is still along with what you are asking.

I wind mine through a product called "corflute" its the plastic sheet that Real Estate for sale signs etc are made out of (there is a thread about it on here somewhere, ingenious). Then sit a tile on top of that and tape the thermostat probe and thermometer probe, cloth tapes best wont come off and safer, to the tile. I use the lowest wattage cable I can which is 15 watts 4m length. Just be careful when buying the 15 watt cable as some are 2m of non heated cord, I want around 4m of heated cable so if I have to I will go higher wattage to get 4m heated length. 15 Watt cable with a tile on top without a thermostat will get to around 40 degree's so you really dont need any higher a wattage unless you need more cable, the wattage goes up with the length. If you cant get the corflute and you have the ability to do it, routed into the floor or another piece of melamine would be the way to go.

I used a 3m 20 watt ??(I think) heat cord as seen below. Used small U nails to tack down the cord and built a small frame for the 300mm tile to sit on. Add an on/off thermo and good to go.
View attachment 275127View attachment 275128
attachment didnt work mate,

- - - Updated - - -

I wind mine through a product called "corflute" its the plastic sheet that Real Estate for sale signs etc are made out of (there is a thread about it on here somewhere, ingenious). Then sit a tile on top of that and tape the thermostat probe and thermometer probe, cloth tapes best wont come off and safer, to the tile. I use the lowest wattage cable I can which is 15 watts 4m length. Just be careful when buying the 15 watt cable as some are 2m of non heated cord, I want around 4m of heated cable so if I have to I will go higher wattage to get 4m heated length. 15 Watt cable with a tile on top without a thermostat will get to around 40 degree's so you really dont need any higher a wattage unless you need more cable, the wattage goes up with the length. If you cant get the corflute and you have the ability to do it, routed into the floor or another piece of melamine would be the way to go.
thanks mate i can only seem to find 15watt in 3 mt but dont know weather that is heated or total length, then there is 25watt that is 4.5 mt. i think for a 300x300 tile at 30mm spacings i need about 3mt of heated cord

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the highjack BB but it is still along with what you are asking.
i have shot men for less

i make a frame out of pine, screw cup hooks in and thread teh cord thru the cup hooks.

a 15W cord should be plenty.

View attachment 275133
I use a 100w 12m heat cord for four (could do more) 10 litre click clacks for my Hatchlings.
The heatcord is sandwiched between tiles which is recessed into the rear of the shelf.
Aluminium tape from Bunnings holds the heat cord in place.
I first tried a 25w heat cord, but for a few click clacks found it wasn't heating up the tiles enough.

Last edited:
Cord wattage is totally dependent on your room temps.Low wattage cords in coolish rooms would struggle to do the job.If you want a bit of versatility you can run two low wattage cords and have one unplugged for summer then run the two for winter.

Last edited:
i have ordered a 25 watt 4.5mt cord, what do you do if there is excess cord? also i have put the new enclosure onto of one of my other ones and it has a 20 air gap between them and it is still getting heat transfer from the lower cage, i have a laser thermometer and it is telling me that the floor of the enclosure is 34 degrees over where the lights in the lower enclosure are, should i put my heat cord down that end to keep that end heated and the other end cool? it will only get the heat from below during the day as all heat is turned off at night. As the new enclosure is for a hatchie BHP what heat should i have the basking spot set at?

If using a timber base, such as a thin sheet of MDF, for heat cord… saw or rebate parallel channels, every 2 cm, such that they are fractionally larger than the diameter of the heat cord. Then include two or three channels at right angles, similarly spaced, near the top and bottom edge. You will probably need to gouge out a little of the channel to accommodate the last 2 cm of the cord. The MDF board should be sealed once cut. Three coats of polyurethane or acrylic paint or similar will ensure it does not absorb any liquid wastes. There is absolutely no need to route out the floor of a cage. A small hole drilled at the required level in the back bottom corner will allow the heat to be passed in and then threaded. Am easier alternative is to use coreflute.

Placing a slate or ceramic tile on top has a number of distinct advantages. Tiles have what is often referred to a high thermal mass. They take a lot heat to warm up each degree and as a consequence, they are able to give out a lot of heat to a cold reptile before they cool down significantly. At the same time, they are good conductors of heat and will spread the heat evenly and quickly. Heat that is drawn out of the top will be replaced by heat from within all of the tile. So they make an excellent surface on which reptiles can warm up. They also have that large amount storage to give off once the heat source underneath them is turned off.

The temperature to which the surface of the tile will get depends on the many factors that influence the thermodynamics of a given enclosure in addition to the wattage of the heat cord used. Someone in Qld said they get 40 degrees with a 15W cord. In Perth, in winter (thanks to Snowman), we got 35 degrees on a corflute threaded 15W cord. I have also 35 degrees on an MDF threaded 15W cord with tile on top. The beauty of these two systems is that you can re-thread the cord so that a percentage hangs out the back, to reduce the internal temperature attained.

Wood is a good insulator. If you want the cord to give off heat underneath, then do not use wood as material to hold it. I would suggest using coreflute sandwiched between two tiles. That way you minimise the need for tape, which can create real problems if you don’t have the right gear – aluminium tape. This will also provide structural rigidity. There are some simple metal clips available that will allow you to hold the tile sandwich together nice and firmly – you just need to buy the right size.

At $20 for a 15W cord and $25 for the next size up, I figure you can afford to dabble a bit. I am a strong believer in using the minimum required wattage so that if anything goes wrong with the thermostat, you are not going to come home to baked reptiles.

Given that you are getting a good degree of transfer of heat from the cage below, and that hot air rises, I would be starting with the lowest wattage and seeing how that performs. The reality of life is that determining just the right amount of heating for any given enclosure is, to some degree, a process of trial and error. So start with the minimum likely wattages and build up from there.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific than that.

Good luck with it,
Blue

hey blue thanks for the info, i can actually get some corflue from work so that might be the go.......so have i got it right, put a tile on the bottom, then corflue with the cord woven in it and then a tile on top of that???? and if i have excess heat cord then it is ok to just hang out the back of the enclosure. i have a probe thermostate for it so i insert that in the middle of the corflue??

You have got most of it.
The surface temperature on top of the tile is what is critical. That will determine the temperature that a basking reptile can get to when lying on top of the tile. Set it up using a thermometer so that you have the desired temperature and then set a thermostat probe in contact with part of the surface to ensure the temperature does not exceed that which you want. Remember you can put the probe near the edge of the top surface because the conductivity of the tile spreads the heat evenly over its entire surface.

I don’t know how much radiant downward heat you will get but you will certainly get some. The beauty of it is that you can control how much heat is being given off by how much cord you use between the tiles versus how much hangs out the back. It is also very easy to reposition the heating area given the small hole required to insert the heat cord. Even heat cords in aquarium enclosures are adaptable. The lead to the cord simple needs to be positioned down one side of the tank and can be taped at the top, outside of the tank to hold it in position. If at all concerned about he heat it may give out and your animal (or the glass), you can always sheath it with a piece of electrical conduit or plastic water pipe.

You will find that heat cords are the most efficient heating system, the most reliable and one of the cheapest to purchase. Where suitable I would highly recommend them.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back