Selling Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor_Keeper

Reaction score
No arguments / debate just a simple yes or no.

If you breed your snakes and come out with 66% het genetics would you sell the hatchy's QUITE a lot over the normal hatchy price.

just for an example say :

Norm: $1000
Het: $3000
morph: $6000

66% Het: $1900

If het equals $3000, then 66% het would be $3000 x 66% = $1980.

So no to $1900.

Just interesting on peoples views on this. Do not quote me on prices rar rar I just made them up with no calculation what so ever just testing for principle.

Simple answer - no.

If you only wanted yes/no answers, why not try a poll so everyone can vote and you'll get a cross-sectional opinion in an easier to understand format? Just a suggestion.

From a buyers:
I would say most snakes are sold for pets, so why would someone pay more $ for a possible colour if you never get to see it.
Maybe if it has visual colour or patterns you would or if you are thinking of breeding!
From the breeder: they paid more dollars to purchase their snakes to get colours and patterns so why shouldnt they ask for more money!
Merry Xmas!!!

NO..... I read somewhere there is no such thing as 66%?

Correct no such thing as a 66% heterozygous snake.
They are a 66% chance of being a het ie 2/3 it is a het so there is always the 1/3 chance that it is not a het at all and you are wasting good money.

As stated the % is representing the likely hood of the animal carrying the gene, Depending on the animal some people may want to risk it for a 66% chance. Usually people who buy hets are interested in the breeding prospect they may hold and are willing to pay for the desired gene not the snake itself.

In a summary it depends on the morph.

- - - Updated - - -

For example a paradox het mite sell for very close to the morph itself but an albino darwin or something more common mite sell for closer to the wild morph price.

I'd say no, unless I was getting a 100% het from a reputable breeder, I wouldn't buy a chance

Was going to put $1000 on my 66% het albino macs but then SR had them for $2k. Will probably keep them anyway. Those buying 66% hets either have too little money for the albinos or already have albinos and are just getting a few extra animals as insurance

Guys I think some of use are missing the point of the thread what I am aiming for ( my fault it can be interpreted different ways ). I was just wondering seeing as I have seen some 66% snakes being sold recently ( not naming, as I have seen it done plenty of times in the past ) at quite a ridiculous price compared to normal's. To me and I guess any other herp lover who are not greedy / selfish would sell the 66% hets as a normal price morph because you cannot guarantee that it will carry the gene that you have added a lot of money on for. That is just my personal opinion and I know some will agree and some will disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back