im i doing something wrong?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey guys so i have had a bredli for about a month now :D and i reckon shes settled in fine eatting fine doing everything fine but when i put my hand in there to handle her she goes into the "s" possition and wants to snap at me so i went and bought a hook.... is there anyway that i can make the snake not afraid of me ?? after i get her on to the hook and onto my hands shes fine :D absolute darling

Your probably doing nothing wrong. Snakes can be cage defensive. Give it time. Some snakes calm down some don't. Just keep on working with it.

A month with a snake isn't a huge amount of time, just persist with what you are doing but only handling for short periods of time to begin with and slowly build it up. It is all a matter of trust, your Bredli needs to learn that it can trust you as much or more than you need to learn you can trust it.

Smooth confident moves. Remember, when picking up your little one, always come from under them. If it would happen to strike it will most likely be defensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

hey chris i have a little bredli aswell i found smiley did this aswell but only of a night so playtime and cleaning during the day feeding at night and after that i have never had a problem and use the hook so he gets used to that meaning you want to handle him should be problem solved good luck .......

Picking the right time to handle your python is a big factor. Try to avoid picking her up on feeding day or just after a meal, Also she more then likely affiliates everything that goes into her domain to be food. It would be safe to say that she dos'nt know what you are yet and what you want with her so just give it time and im sure you'll be able to pick her up soon enough.

Using an hook is'nt all that bad as it lets her know what happens before she gets handled as aposed to dangling something through the same entry her food comes.

All the best

I recently bought a roughly 2yo Olive (finally!!) who I named Norman (as in Bates). The little bugger was evil, no snapping, would only ever go for the bite and coil, and apparently he'd always been like that. All his clutch-mates settled right down as Olive's should, but not Norman. The first time I met him, I had him hanging off my arm for 10 minutes and my fingers started to go blue.
When I got him home, I left him to settle for a couple of weeks, then started very very short handling sessions, only a couple of minutes at a time. At first I would handle him bare-handed, but that seemed to be stressing him out so I found an old pair of formal gloves which he seemed more comfortable with as there was no skin contact. I also chucked a worn t-shirt in his enclosure to get him used to my scent. Less than two weeks after doing that, and after two nice big feeds (followed by ginormous poops) he's a dream to handle. I even took him out briefly on Friday night when we had Barb-ageddon, and he was amazing! A house full of strangers etc and not even a little bit of nervousness. Also, he's alright with skin contact now so I don't need the gloves.

I think the main thing that made the difference though was that considering how keen he was to eat me, I promised him that if I ever have to get one of my hands amputated, I'll feed him a finger :p :)

hey mate my bredli are the same. if i turn their hides over and just pick the up they are fine but if they are out basking then i have to get them with a hook, and at night ya can forget about handling my guys they are feral after dark

It is a flight or fight response,nothing more nothing less.

Since it is effectively cornered,in an enclosure or a tub, it cannot go into flight mode so it is doing the only other thing it knows.

Any other explanation is from the situation being misread.

My jungle is always in that s position even if he is being dreamy but it keeps me on my toes cause I never know I often wonder does he just like that postion or is he just always ready to attack like a true worrier

hey mate my bredli are the same. if i turn their hides over and just pick the up they are fine but if they are out basking then i have to get them with a hook, and at night ya can forget about handling my guys they are feral after dark
This is same for me...if they in hide and in the cool end then just pick um up (they very lothargic)..if they been laying on heat tile digesting food then i use a hook cause they very alert and im not taking a Tag just cause im acting out to be brave lol..also i dont bother getting um out if they hanging out on elivated branches (stresses um out to much trying to encourage there tail off) .....
thumbup.gif

It could be just be going into it's shed cycle, what are you temps bathing snakes could also be a sign of to much heat in it's enclosure! To check for mites look for little black dots in it's waterbowl.

My bredli always goes into the s position....but not to strike, he goes in an s when he wants to turn around....he has a long neck :p

Hm.....I can see why your snake tries to bite you when coming he's coming out....THERE"S A PARTY IN HIS HOUSE!!!! No one ever wants to leave that :lol:

How old is yours, just a hatchy/yearling? If so, the enclosure is probably too big, just get a click clack and put it in there, or get lots of foliage/hides to make her feel more secure, they do better that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back