Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Hey.
My BHP just pee'd.
This is the 1st time I've seen something like this in her waste. Is it worms or blood? Her last meal was 2 medium rats and 3 chicken legs. All Frozen/thawed. she hasn't had fresh foods in many months.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356335560400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356335560400.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 216
I'd get it to a vet ASAP. I have a feeling that the chicken legs may have done some damage to the snakes lower go track. To me it doesn't look like worms.

Have you had her with a male? I read on another thread that a female BHP does this when ovulating.

Blue

If you love your snakes like I love mine, I would get her to the vet ASAP.
Also I would probably cut the chicken legs out and give her a quail instead, the poo's are smellier but my BHP loves quail and she gets all the added bonuses of the organs. Just some advice :)

Edit: Let us know how she goes, I hope she is okay :)

Last edited:
>>>>>>>vet<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>asap<<<<<<<<<

Nope, snakes do not have them. I know it is supposed to be a bit of a laugh, however it is not right advice.
I have not heard of any snake having blood in their urates while ovulating but it could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, snakes do not have them. I know it is supposed to be a bit of a laugh, however it is not right advice.
I have not heard of any snake having blood in their urates while ovulating but it could happen.
well i actually have heard of this with bhps before , same thread as blue i believe , so it kinda is sound advice with a bit of a joke thrown in

op dont let people make you think you don't care about your snakes because you didn't rush her off to the vet because of a tiny spec of blood

also if your adding nothing but , " vet ,now" maybe have a read of the sticky in the herp help section , just saying vet now isnt much help

Well I havnt taken her to a vet yet seeing as its Xmas. But her last 2 uratings have been white, yellow and a bit of green. (Like Normal)
She hasn't been with a male while I've owned her. Well over a year now.
I use to feed her quail. May get a batch again and alternate them with the chicken legs.
It's funny. With the chook legs, everything gets dissolved by the time it comes out. But with the quail, she poops whole legs/feet back out.

IMO i dont think chicken is the reason behind this,ive fed jungles-carpets-diamonds-darwins-womas-bhps and water python chicken for many years,.NEVER had any issues.I dont feed them chicken every feed,only once every 3-4 feeds they have..I would just keep a eye on her and if you see any difference then maybe a vet trip is a must..Ive been to the toilet and noticed a little blood before,no doctor and all was good...

IMO i dont think chicken is the reason behind this,ive fed jungles-carpets-diamonds-darwins-womas-bhps and water python chicken for many years,.NEVER had any issues.I dont feed them chicken every feed,only once every 3-4 feeds they have..I would just keep a eye on her and if you see any difference then maybe a vet trip is a must..Ive been to the toilet and noticed a little blood before,no doctor and all was good...

I dont think the earlier suggestions related to chicken per say, but rather to chicken legs since they have a faily sustantial bone ( say as thick as a pen) capable of puncturing organs. There are probably smaller boned, and cheaper, cuts of chicken available if that is your food of choice. If you have blood in your bowel movements it would be wise to get a stool sample and further investigation as it is an indicator of problems in the lower digestive tract.

I wasnt saying not to feed chicken, I know people have not had a problem with them, I just think whole animals are better IMO.

That's interesting Blue and Thomasss, can I please have the link, as I am looking at breeding BHP's in the future so would like to read up on things (not to mention I have a BHP female).

Also I just said that I would take her to the vet, I was not saying that he is neglecting her or anything.

@Levold - Glad she has come back to normal, it is always good to hear when the snake/reptile is doing better.

well i actually have heard of this with bhps before , same thread as blue i believe ,

I will go one step further and state that I'm pretty sure Cement was the author of said post/s.

IMO that feed was big enough to go at least to two meals. l have several bhp's around the 8 - 10 kg mark and they each get a 150 gram sub adult rat every two weeks look great and breed every year its my belief over-feeding "maybe" the base cause of your problem......solar 17

I will go one step further and state that I'm pretty sure Cement was the author of said post/s.
good chance , cant for the life of me remember the thread title though so sorry venomous RBB cant provide any link

IMO that feed was big enough to go at least to two meals. l have several bhp's around the 8 - 10 kg mark and they each get a 150 gram sub adult rat every two weeks look great and breed every year its my belief over-feeding "maybe" the base cause of your problem......solar 17

Lol. Come tell that to my girl. If I fed her that she would break out and strangle me. 300g/week is the min. To keep her satisfied.

I think this is one reason why so many captive snakes are overweight,2 medium rats every 2-3weeks would be sufficent,i wouldnt of worried about the chicken legs..

Have to agree with Solar on this. To me that's an enormous meal.
Been looking at some of my BHP records. One of mine that hatched in 2000 is now 6.31kg. Two years ago in December 2010 it weighed 5.54kg.

Over the past 24 months it has eaten 28 times, always just 1 medium (150-175 gram) rat with the occasional chicken drumstick substituted.
Even being fed on average say once a month, 150 - 175 gram rat, it has still managed to put on 770 grams in weight.

Snakes in captivity don't need much food as they aren't out cruising the bush, using energy, looking for food.
By default we "train" our snakes to associate our presence with food being provided. I know with mine they get handled for only 2 reasons, either cleaning or feeding. They quickly learn that when their cage door is opened there is a 50% chance of food being offered.

Back to the original question, I've never seen blood in urates but if it's no longer appearing I wouldn't be all that concerned about it. Snakes are tough.

Have to agree with Solar on this. To me that's an enormous meal.
Been looking at some of my BHP records. One of mine that hatched in 2000 is now 6.31kg. Two years ago in December 2010 it weighed 5.54kg.

Over the past 24 months it has eaten 28 times, always just 1 medium (150-175 gram) rat with the occasional chicken drumstick substituted.
Even being fed on average say once a month, 150 - 175 gram rat, it has still managed to put on 770 grams in weight.

Snakes in captivity don't need much food as they aren't out cruising the bush, using energy, looking for food.
By default we "train" our snakes to associate our presence with food being provided. I know with mine they get handled for only 2 reasons, either cleaning or feeding. They quickly learn that when their cage door is opened there is a 50% chance of food being offered.

Back to the original question, I've never seen blood in urates but if it's no longer appearing I wouldn't be all that concerned about it. Snakes are tough.
+1

I dont think so Rob. It would be nice to see that post just to put what I said into the right context.
I have never seen blood in the urine of a bhp and would consider that exactly what wokka said for the reasons that Solar17 mentioned. Like the devil says, I too only feed my large bhps, 1 medium rat every 1-2 weeks. They are very healthy specimens and as you know, they breed. Some people on here may be shocked at the amount of food my snakes get (meaning how little) but compared to wild snakes my animals are slightly more robust.

My female left small smears of blood on the substrate when she was 2 yr old. I had her fully checked by a well known herp vet, and his take was that she "not mature enough to breed, but starting to think about it!" I have spoken to other bhp breeders who have noticed the same thing with one of them saying that it was a sign that they are mature. At her age at the time though I doubted it. She still does it occasionally coming out of winter (not during ovulation). It looks nothing like this photo here. If I was asked for advice for this, I would say you could get it checked by a vet, I would probably leave it and see what happens after the next feed. I would feed only a small item next feed like a 150gm rat. (assuming the snake is over 6ft, if the snake is smaller then an even smaller food item).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back