faulty heat rock nearly killed my bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintanger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
my partner bought a heat rock from a well know company. i have heard that heat rocks aint good ect but wen i sent my husband out to get a heat emitter and ceramic light fitting he came back with a heat rock which was recomended to him by a petshop staff member as the best thing for a blue tongue lizard.

anyway i thought since her enclosure is large i put the heat rock on one end and water on the other and everything was going fine. i only had this heat rock for 2 months, and i walked in 3 days ago to find smoke in my reptile room and a sizzling sound. i straight away knew it was the heat rock so i grabbed the rock and i burnt my hand badly. so i had to pull the plug and dangle the rock and threw it in my bath tub with water, it sizzled. i check my bluey and she had some minor burns on her feet and belly. wen i grabbed the rock she was in the water bowl trying to get away from the rock.

i will never buy a heat rock ever again. this is the secound item i have had that is faulty from 2 differnt big companies.

i threw the box and reciept out, other wise i would be back at the petshop demanding someone be responsible for this.

beward of faulty products and check your pets everday, i am lucky. but next time someone might not be.

if anyone wants to know the brand PM me.

Lucky, lucky......It would be a slow month when you don't see a similar story on APS. Not something I've ever used and given the number of failures one hears about it's not something I'd recommend.

thats no good sorry to hear that,
Heatrocks are just plain terrible but thats just my opinion

NEVER USE HEAT ROCKS!
(A message to all new reptile owners)
I'm glad your bluey survived....I hope he is feeling better soon!

Really sorry to hear that saintanger. I am glad though that it was a happier ending than what it could have been, but its still not nice.

I hear this story every now and then ,there must be a lot of defective products out there.Honestly I have had a heat rock for over 10 years now and never had any drama's,I guess you have to be lucky

poor diamond, i would never buy a heat rock as i have heard alot of bad stuff. but my husband does not use the net and does not know much, it was recomended to him. and i was moving my bluey to a bigger enclosure this week so i thought it would last at least 3 months till the new enclosure was up and running but it only lasted 2 months. i am so angry that big companies know these items are faulty and hurt/ kill our pets and they are still selling them. if i had the reciept and box i would be suing them my poor blue was hurt but minor and vet said she will be fine. but i am border lin OCD (obsessive compolise dissorder) and i check all enclosures at least 6 times a day after a ceramic light fitting blew up i was checking enclosures 20 times a day, now its like 30 times a day.

I have 3 or 4 heat rocks, all of which came with 2nd hand enclosures that I've bought. Of those, all bar one has the cord cut off and I use them as enclosure decorations, or as a rock under the basking point. I only have the one with the cord still attached as an absolute back up. Say all of the globes in the house exploded at once (even the spares in the cupboard), and all of the shops in the world were closed for the next month. Then I might think about using the spare heat rock, but honestly I'd probably only have it on while I was home and awake so I could make sure it wasn't going to burn down the house/kill my critters.

That's horrible news. When I was about to buy my first snake a few months ago I was so close to buying a heat rock. Changed my mind at last minute and got a heat mat. When I finish my next enclosure (hopefully few weeks away) ill be swapping to head cords.

i burnt my stimi's stomach on one of those evil things. If it was an electric blanking burning babies and children, it would be taken off the market. Yet we see graphic pictures of what the heat rock is doing to our pets - yet they still sell and recomend them.
Crazy world we live in!

i burnt my stimi's stomach on one of those evil things. If it was an electric blanking burning babies and children, it would be taken off the market. Yet we see graphic pictures of what the heat rock is doing to our pets - yet they still sell and recomend them.
Crazy world we live in!

and they will keep doing it till someone sues them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back