monitors ?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna go for V. panoptes on this one, doesn't look right to be a V. gouldii.

EDIT: Scratch that, gouldii as the spots on the front legs are yellow and have poorly defined edges. Either way not the best picture for an identification.

Last edited:
Apart from the limited information available from the given photo, it is one of those animals that almost crosses the line. Both species are quite variable between individuals and change significantly from juveniles to adults (not unusual with larger varanids) - neither of which helps at all. Anyway, it appears to lacks the large black spots and the regular arrangement of the small white/yellow spots of V. panotes, so I’d say you are looking at V. gouldii. The end quarter to third of the tail would be plain yellow or white and the OP would not have missed that. Just up to him to confirm it.

Apart from the limited information available from the given photo, it is one of those animals that almost crosses the line. Both species are quite variable between individuals and change significantly from juveniles to adults (not unusual with larger varanids) - neither of which helps at all. Anyway, it appears to lacks the large black spots and the regular arrangement of the small white/yellow spots of V. panotes, so I’d say you are looking at V. gouldii. The end quarter to third of the tail would be plain yellow or white and the OP would not have missed that. Just up to him to confirm it.
Well I was pretty blind and my 1st thought was gouldii gouldii so I am glad you somewhat cleared it up.

V. panoptes. Did you catch it in your yard or something? I noticed that the photograph appears to have been taken inside your home.

Good to see others have corrected my mistake.

I had misgivings about providing an ID on what I could not see – so I took the time to have a closer look with a lull in the festivities. The alignment of black dots on the ventro-lateral surface are very much a panoptes trait as are the widely spaced pale dots on the dorsal and allowing for the camera angle, they are well aligned. If you look at what you can see of the tail, the light “bands” consist of separated round dots and not broken bands typical of gouldii.

Sorry, but I got it wrong. It is definitely a panoptes.

Based upon the stocky arms, belly & throat colour it's a Panoptes.

Panoptes is one thing I really want to keep, and It looks like a panoptes to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back