Enclosure Help/Advice Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Yesterday my mum brought home two glass terrariums for my Bredli and Jungle. These snakes are almost a year old but are quite small for their age (I'm always attracted to the runts :oops:). They are both around a meter long, give or take. The enclosures I have are 100cmx54cmx40.5cm (LxHxW). I will be adding wood to the sides to help kep heat in or do you think it should be fine without? It will be heated with a 100watt ceramic globe.

So my question, are these too big for them? I am going to add a lot of fake plants/vines and rocks, branches, logs etc in so they feel comfortable and not exposed to an open area.
Also they are growing fairly quickly and the enclosures they are in now are only 23x23x40cm (LxWxH) and they look a bit squished :p

Thank you guys in advance: Here are a few pics....(I installed the lock all on my own :D)
webcam-toy-photo44_zpsb98232bf.jpg

webcam-toy-photo43_zps0d303fae.jpg

webcam-toy-photo45_zpsf3224521.jpg

I think that size will be fine for them. You have already mentioned the need to provide adequate cover/hides, so I don't see a problem with it.
As for insulating the sides. Only you can tell whether that is needed or not by checking the temps (over time) at both ends and experimenting with what works best.

Oh, & I see someone really likes Slash. :)

It is a good idea to insulate where possible, simply because glass loses a lot of heat, so therefore much un-necessary heat costs. PS: I think Slash and Axel are really good names for snakes :p

when i first started off i had an old fish tank that i converted into a (temp) snake enclosure. one thing i did have an issue with was ventilation and heat loss from the tank because of no insulation. it was a bit of trial and error to figure out what wattage bulb i needed in the first place. i ended up with a strong wattage simply because the tank was so large and a lot of heat loss of evident. if you can insulate that would be great, if not, you'll just have to monitor the temps a little closer till you get it right. hope that helps.
Matt

Oh, & I see someone really likes Slash. :)

You don't say? :lol: If you think I really like Slash, let me post a picture of my other wall (Covered top to bottom with SLASH posters :p)

I think that size will be fine for them. You have already mentioned the need to provide adequate cover/hides, so I don't see a problem with it.
As for insulating the sides. Only you can tell whether that is needed or not by checking the temps (over time) at both ends and experimenting with what works best.
Cool, I have some branches soaking right now for them :D I went out and bought heaps of plants and hides for them yesterday as well so I can't wait to move them in :D
I'm hoping temperatures will be fine...it's just winter I'm worried about.
It is a good idea to insulate where possible, simply because glass loses a lot of heat, so therefore much un-necessary heat costs. PS: I think Slash and Axel are really good names for snakes :p

Hahaha not a big fan of Axel (Rose) but I do like Slash and Duff ;)
****Not to self: Name next snake after Slash****

You don't say? :lol: If you think I really like Slash, let me post a picture of my other wall (Covered top to bottom with SLASH posters :p)

My boy is a bit of a Slash fan himself. Has the Les Paul & Marshall amp. Still working on the hair & hat, though. We went & saw him recently in Sydney. Awesome show.

I'm hoping temperatures will be fine...it's just winter I'm worried about.

You can always have an elevated basking site, so that it is closer to the heat source hence increasing the basking temps.

:evil: SOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS! Mum wouldn't let me go!!!!Not for girls she said :evil:!!! I am officially jealous of your son.....for 4 years I have been begging my folks for a marshall (The awesome one with the girl wearing the slash hat:)) and a Gibson LP.......never got one :cry: Then again I'm more of a bass player myself.....I also love Nikki Sixx :oops:

Yeah, I'm adding in a raised basking spot as soon as dad gets me the hot glue gun!!!! I'm trying to keep the "Jungle theme" going. so I'm a bit puzzled what to use....I was going to attatch a melamine platform but I don't like the white look :( Would a perch about 10-20cm under the heat light work just as well? She'd be able to reach it of course!

Yeah it doesn't have to be a shelf (platform). Just a branch or similar positioned so that there is a nice basking spot not too far from the heat source. Check your temps there though before you make things permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back