how to identify the sex of a spotted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just picked up a baby blonde spotted, i was wondering if there was anyway in finding out the sex. i was going to get it probed when its a bit older but i wouldnt mind knowing now lol.
Thanks in advance

There is no reliable way of sexing snakes just by looking at them. If you want to know definately it needs to be probed.

I disagree Sarah. Some very experienced herpers can visually sex snakes, although it's easier with adult snakes. However, in neonate snakes such as this, it's very difficult.
Some breeders "pop" baby snakes, by squeezing the hemipenes out of the base of the tail, but it's not recommended as there's a significant chance of injuring the snake.

BrianP, you're best off waiting until it's a yearling or sub-adult before attempting to sex it.

Last edited:
Yes popping or probing is the only way to know. Some can tell by tail length, but not 100% certainty.

Popping is relatively easy but not suggested if you don't know how.

Probing is the same. This should be done by the breeder or a herp vet. Some breeders do it for free and vets will probably charge you.

I could tell with mine my males tail is longer from the genital area then the females.

I disagree Sarah. Some very experienced herpers can visually sex snakes, although it's easier with adult snakes. However, in neonate snakes such as this, it's very difficult.
Some breeders "pop" baby snakes, by squeezing the hemipenes out of the base of the tail, but it's not recommended as there's a significant chance of injuring the snake.

BrianP, you're best off waiting until it's a yearling or sub-adult before attempting to sex it.
Completely agree, I would like to get my Bredli sexed as she has an extremely long tail for being a female, however as other's have said, it is not always the way (tail length). She is only 8 months so will wait until she is about 18 months to get her properly checked out by a herp vet.

Thanks for the advice, I'll wait till she's over a year old and then get her probed

Sexing is part of the service offerred by most breeders. It amazes me that newbies buy $100 facebook snakes and then come on here to solve the problems or at worst more than double the price of their snake by paying a vet to sex it.

Wokka- it's not a $100 Facebook snake as you put it. I did buy off a breeder and she said to me it's best to wait till their at least 9 months old to get them probed and to be 100% sure, I was just curious if there was anything I could do earlier. As far as I'm concerned its not a problem I needed solved, just a general question. Forgive me for not knowing everything like yourself. Yes this is my first snake and I have wanted one for years and its not something I rushed into

It doesn't have anything to do with tail length, You can sometimes see a hemipenal bulge or an uneven tapering around the 5th subcaudal area if it's a male. During breeding season it sticks out like dogs balls, or in this case snakes balls. PilbaraPythons has a good page explaining it if you look on his site.

Wokka- it's not a $100 Facebook snake as you put it. I did buy off a breeder and she said to me it's best to wait till their at least 9 months old to get them probed and to be 100% sure, I was just curious if there was anything I could do earlier. As far as I'm concerned its not a problem I needed solved, just a general question. Forgive me for not knowing everything like yourself. Yes this is my first snake and I have wanted one for years and its not something I rushed into
Brian, sorry if i offended you. My comments were meant to be general and not aimed at you personally. Perhaps i should expand my post.I try to encourage newbies to establish local relationships with local breeders so they have the local support and local knowledge of how to care for their animals. Forums are great but often dont have the local knowledge. Users seem reluctant to post their location which can so often influence the answers requested.There is nothing like having the local knowledge of the animal , keeper, climate to be able to give accurate advice.
Keep asking questions and maybe by the time you are a cranky old man you will know everything too.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back