Boyds Forest Dragon Information Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo on 11-01-12 at 1.14 PM #2.jpgView attachment 238447View attachment 238448IMG_2266.jpg

My Boyd Forest Dragon Bruno.
Enclosure: XLarge Exoterra Terrium, 90x45x90
Lighting- UV 5.0
Temperature- 23-28 C
Accessories- Xlarge Exoterra waterfall, Exoterra Vines, Exoterra plants, Trees etc, Large water dish, Food dish
Substrate- Reptile Coco pete
Heat mat- Used in winter if temperatures drop
Food- Mealworms, Crickets, Woodies
Dusting- Calcium dust with every feed, Vitamin dust once a month
Gauges- Heat and humidity gauge

I let him catch all his food in his tank besides crickets as they drown themselves straight away so I hand feed him them, which he doesn't mind.

I mist his cage several times a day too keep the humidity up.

He doesn't mind be handled, when I let him out he just crawls onto my curtain and chills there.

I was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions...
1. Am I looking after him properly? He seams healthy and energetic
2. Is it okay that he lives by himself? The breeder I bought him off said its fine I just have one, but I always see people with more then 1
3. Is his enclosure big enough?

P.S I will be entering him into this years Easter Show Competition :)

I also think my Boyd would eat fruits, but which ones could I try and get him to taste?

Photo on 11-01-12 at 1.14 PM #2.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Pics of my new display tank which will be housing 3 boyds tomorrow as they have outgrown their current tank. This one has an in built waterfall in the background and is roughly 1220h x 1220L x 700w in mm.

Attachments

• IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 217
Yes there is a vast difference in the 2 females I recently got. I originally got the male/female pair and only recently got the 2 extra females from a different source. So the bottom boyd and a smaller one I have seperated due to being smaller in size are more green and have a different shape round the head and spikes at the top (makes it easier to tell my pair and then my other 2 females apart which is handy!)

I've worked with these guys before,but never kept them as pets.hopefully I will get the chance.

@ LizardChick, sounds like you've got it all sorted.they are normally happy to share their enclosure,but I don't think they need​ company.

Ah, waited my two years for class 2 license. Put it off too long. Now I have to wait two more years. I will have you soon Boyds.

Just wanted to let every one know, wile doing some research for a friend about licensing requirements for the Hypsilurus boydii. I called DERM and they told me over the phone that you can keep them in QLD on a recreational wildlife license. current as of 28/11/2012

What size enclosure do you reconmend for them?

- - - Updated - - -

What size enclosure do you recomend for them?

Just wanted to let every one know, wile doing some research for a friend about licensing requirements for the Hypsilurus boydii. I called DERM and they told me over the phone that you can keep them in QLD on a recreational wildlife license. current as of 28/11/2012

Yeah that's true i just recently purchased 5 Boyds and i live in QLD and only have a standard license.

Hey there, i am currently converting an old tv unit into a boyds enclosure. I am wondering how i can water proof it? Can i use a pond sealer paint perhaps? Do you have any photos of your drainage system? Thanks Carina

Hi everyone, am building an enclosure at the moment for some boydii and thought i would share my progress so far.
This is the enclosure, it measures 5ft high, 3 wide by 2 deep which should be fine for an adult pair. I bought the enclosure as an old snake enclosure and spent yesterday sanding it down getting the old varnish off (looked horrible).

I pulled out the old party-light fittings and vents/thermostats and cleaned it all out (stank like rotten piss).

IMG_0092.jpg This is the enclosure, was lying down while i was sanding it. (excuse the messy garage)

IMG_0096.jpg Now standing up.

IMG_0093.jpg I was trying to decide what fittings and lighting setup i was going to use, and i ended up going with the 2 fittings on the far left, 1 will have a 100watt ceramic heat emitter (with a cage) hooked up to a digital thermostat, and the other with a 5.0 uv.

IMG_0097.jpgI then filled the holes and sanded them down, (the old man is a carpenter and so is helping with a lot of this stuff)

IMG_0103.jpg Here is what im staining the enclosure with. The big tin on the right is a black stain which set me back $50 from bunnings, and the one on the left is a marine grade varnish (thanks to Mr.James for recommending it)(about $30) which i will coat in the inside to seal the walls all and waterproof it as the humidity required is high.
IMG_0105.jpg Today I started putting on this Black stain and kind of realised its not exactly a stain, more of a varnish, sticky coat but still looks half decent. I didn't a pretty ordinary job on the front and inside so just showing this side. Im leaving this to dry till tomorrow then going sand down the poorly painted parts and re-coat. Now even though im coating the wood with the varnish and sealing it, the wood wont be exposed to the actual water (when spraying etc) as im looking for a rock background. I've spent most of the day calling a few places looking for a background and most are too expensive, cheapest i found was about $30 per ft (i need like 15ft?)
Im now considering tiling the whole inside, mind you im not sure the boydii will even use the background and stick to the trees (even though it kind of defeats the purpose of a display enclosure)
Bunnings sell these plastic tiles that are stick on and have a nice texture (and look good too) which i am considering, as normal tiles would weigh a ton.

Any suggestions would be fantastic, i will definitely post more pics once i make progress and finish staining it.

Cheers, James

It should scrub up nicely James! Your on the right track, I wouldnt put the partition in that. Just use the heat cord below and maybe up the sides to help provide the correct temps. Alternately use a shelf half way and put another heat source in there. I think you'd be better using a 2ft fluro than a spiral to cover more ground.

Looking awesum! Cant wait to start mine but im having a mini heat attack atm from just getting it inside the house! I am using a 4ft wide x 6ft high x 2ft wide tv unit :D Will have to get myself some of that marine grade varnish to water proof mine :)

It should scrub up nicely James! Your on the right track, I wouldnt put the partition in that. Just use the heat cord below and maybe up the sides to help provide the correct temps. Alternately use a shelf half way and put another heat source in there. I think you'd be better using a 2ft fluro than a spiral to cover more ground.

Thanks James, yeah the divider was purely just to half the space as im buying hatchies and the space may be too big. I was considering putting in a 2ft batten as a UV and do have a spare one lying around somewhere. Will wire the heatcord under the substrate to heat the bottom. What do you think about the tiling idea?
Appreciate the help, will have some updated pics in a few days

Great thread. I live on the Sunshine Coast, and the area where I place the enclosure gets to ~28C, possibly more during the summer. This is without the fan on, but obviously I am not always having the fan on. Would I have to worry about cooling them? If so, how do you cool them?

They do fine to temps from 22-32, after 32 they don't like it for too long, on really hot days minimise all natural light to help cool them, also spray them as much as possible on really hot days to drop the temp inside enclosure and use coco peat moist/ wet on floor so they can retreat to cooler floor space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back