The day before Xmas and egg bound.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic result! She looks so happy and relieved finally curled around those egss. Bet the babies are the cutest little snookies ever!!

Congrats RSP..... That's great to see that she's laid her eggs. I wish you the best of luck with this clutch.... Just a quick question... do you know if a snake gets egg bound, does it cause complications in future breeding attempts? Never bred before so just trying to further my knowledge...

Congrats RSP..... That's great to see that she's laid her eggs. I wish you the best of luck with this clutch.... Just a quick question... do you know if a snake gets egg bound, does it cause complications in future breeding attempts? Never bred before so just trying to further my knowledge...

Some snakes just have problems and will have issues with eggs every year, but with most snakes, they will be fine.

This is her first clutch and she weighs around 1.3kg's, so she's just over the recommended minimum breeding weight, normaly they won't have to many problems at this weight, but I noticed she has a kink at her vent, which would make laying eggs harder (This could have been what was stopping her). I believe she won't have problems next year, because she will be much bigger, making it easier to pass the eggs past that kink, but really, I won't know until that time comes.
I might even rest her next year if she's not big enough.

Some snakes just have problems and will have issues with eggs every year, but with most snakes, they will be fine.

This is her first clutch and she weighs around 1.3kg's, so she's just over the recommended minimum breeding weight, normaly they won't have to many problems at this weight, but I noticed she has a kink at her vent, which would make laying eggs harder (This could have been what was stopping her). I believe she won't have problems next year, because she will be much bigger, making it easier to pass the eggs past that kink, but really, I won't know until that time comes.
I might even rest her next year if she's not big enough.

ok, thanks for the info, makes for a very interesting and informative read..I'd been hanging on this thread since day dot in the hope she'd be ok..... Threads like this are great for people who are wanting to learn about breeding, and also highlights that there can be some serious concerns for the reptiles, and its not a licence to print money....I hope your girl does well in the future and pics of the hatchies when they arrive...

Ok, I'm back from my holiday. Checked the eggs last night and it looks like 2 of the 12 eggs are slugs. Externally they look just like the other eggs, but they have no veins inside.

Hope you a good break even if it was short and good to hear that there is some good news regarding eggs,how is the mother?

Hope you a good break even if it was short and good to hear that there is some good news regarding eggs,how is the mother?

It was short because I didn't want to leave before all the snakes had layed eggs and I had to be back before eggs started hatching in a day or 2 from now.

She is doing well by the looks of her, I'll try feeding her very soon.

Im glad you got a good result after all the stress.
How is the drained one looking?
Are you still going to keep the sus looking ones incubating? One of my womas cast aside a good looking egg(good shape,size and colour) it was very difficult to see the veins though when candling, i incubated it and it came out fine.
Best of luck with the incubation...

Aaron

Sorry you cut your holiday short, but I'm glad all is good with you girl and eggs and hopefully we will all get some pics of your new babies very soon. An exciting time.

Im glad you got a good result after all the stress.
How is the drained one looking?
Are you still going to keep the sus looking ones incubating? One of my womas cast aside a good looking egg(good shape,size and colour) it was very difficult to see the veins though when candling, i incubated it and it came out fine.
Best of luck with the incubation...

Aaron

The drained one is being incubated and has pretty strong veins actually, it's the same size as the other eggs now and looks promising that it might make it, but their is a chance it will die during incubation.

I think I got the hint and don't worry, I'll post them.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to capture her true colours on camera, she always turns out a brown tinge, but in real life, she has almost no brown, she is covered with a very nice (and quite strong) green tinge instead.
She is one of Darren Whittaker's black & white lines.

I can't stress enough how completely different she looks on camera and I'm hoping I don't have the same problems with the hatchlings, because that will make selling them a bit trickier.

Thanks again for all the support people.

Little bit off-topic, but have you tried adjusting the pics until they're closer to her true colour? I know photoshopping is frowned upon when selling reptiles online (for obvious reasons), but the buyer would find out after the sale or on viewing that you were being more honest adjusting colour than by not. It makes me wonder how many good bargains I've missed out on by dismissing out of state animals by pictures alone :/
On topic again - I was glad to read your girl came out of it okay. Will be very interested to hear how the drained egg goes during incubation. Why do you think it was so large? Extra fluid, twins... triplets? Anyway.... aaaand *subscribe* :p

Little bit off-topic, but have you tried adjusting the pics until they're closer to her true colour? I know photoshopping is frowned upon when selling reptiles online (for obvious reasons), but the buyer would find out after the sale or on viewing that you were being more honest adjusting colour than by not. It makes me wonder how many good bargains I've missed out on by dismissing out of state animals by pictures alone :/
On topic again - I was glad to read your girl came out of it okay. Will be very interested to hear how the drained egg goes during incubation. Why do you think it was so large? Extra fluid, twins... triplets? Anyway.... aaaand *subscribe* :p

I have photoshop, but I don't know how to use it, to much effort.

I don't really know why the egg was so large, someone else might know?

I'll keep everyone updated on the drained egg.

Hi RSP,
WOW.......Such a great thread with an awesome outcome, so good to see a good news story for a change compared to a lot of the horror stories you often read about.

Good luck and hope all goes well from here.

Just checked the eggs. The 2 eggs in the middle of the clump, are both infertile. One has no veins at all and the other has cloudy spots (like blood clots), so it was fertile, but has died. Making the total number of fertile eggs 10.

The egg that was drained is very much alive, strong veins and I can see the little fella squirming around when I candle it. Hopefully this one makes it.

Thanks for the update. Its a shame that you have lost a couple but its great that you still have your female and a bunch of fertile eggs. I will be checking back in to see how the drained egg progresses... Very interesting.
I hope all goes well for the rest of incubation.
Aaron

Just an update on these eggs. They are due to hatch next week, I just candled them again, unfortunately, it looks like the first egg that was laid has died :( but on the up side, the drained egg is still very alive :)

Awesome news. How's mum now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back