Bearded Dragons Scratching at Glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastedgriny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Bearded Dragon is always scratching at his glass like he wants to be let out, he has only just started doing this in the past week but before he had never done it, nothing has changed in heating / lighting , food , water nothing but he always is at the corner and jump into the glass, i take him out 3 times a week for about 1 hour my other bearded dragon doesnt want to escape his cage though they are seperated

mine was doing that a lot and then on closer inspection he was just shedding

Mine does that. Sometimes it signifies she's about to poo. Sometimes it means, "I want out!"

How old is yours?

2 of my girls do it wen i walk in the room, they do it for food and attention. my male does it wen he wants to go for a swim in the bath tub.

he is around 2 months old he has stopped for a bit after i gave him some peas

Get a 1.5 metre monitor with claws like a small eagle & you'll find out what 'scratching at the glass' really means :lol:

It could be mating season & the beardie wants out to look for a mate.

my pygmy male is doing it right now because he is shedding and my central head butts the glass when he wants to go to the toilet and he doesn't like to do it in the tank

my male doing it right now aha, i usually just take him out of the tank and sit him on the carpet and he just chills there for a little while aha

A bearded dragon, or any most intelligent lizards like dragons and monitors scratch at the glass because they want to come out. They see you get into the enclosure 1 way or another and to them it means an exit, a way to explore what's on the out side, if your dragon is scratching on the glass, you should let it out.. It's good stimulation.

dragons are very intelligent animals, I have a few dragons, both Barbata and Vitticeps, but one of them in particular has learnt that unless the door is open the only way in is if I open it. He will usually run and sit on my foot at this point in time.
If you do not like them doing it or find it irritating, you could/can. Change their enclosure around so they have something new to look at. If I don't have the time to let them out( meaning doing something were it could be dangerous for them) I usually just swap who is in who's enclosure for the afternoon.

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
My male does it all the time so I just let him out and he sits on the back of the lounge and looks out the window or watches the fish hours. He is just happy to be near us, as long as he can see us he is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back