new python owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxon1

Reaction score
Hi im new to the world of reptile ownership and i would greatly appreciate any tips on how to care for and keep a python in brisbane

Welcome Saxon.
Theres a ton of great info on the site but we also need a bit of input from you in regards to what sort of python are you after or do you have one already. Do you need help with the licensing or enclosure and all that sort of stuff. Im sure there will be more questions than answers at first but you will soon find they get answered pretty quickly.

Hi Saxon. Welcome aboard.
As SniperCap has already mentioned, decide on what species you'd like first, research the species and ask questions if you're not sure. then get your license sorted out. then organize an enclosure and get it setup and temp tested before purchasing. Getting the python is the easy bit- a suitable enclosure seems to be quite a problem for a few people.
On the plus side, living in Qld means you won't have to go overboard with heating.

Im am completely open to suggestions i have three kids two 6 and one 8 and i dont want a snake that will grow over the 8 foot mark. A carpet python is what has been recommended but not sure can you guys advise me of the best options to start out i will have a about 2 metres of floor space i can fill when i upgrade my new setup when the time comes
cheers

How keen are the kids ? Maybe a children's python would be a good place to start (not named a children's because of their suitability for children :) ) they max out around 3-4ft so 2ft floor space would be ok if you can have a bit of height to it and have lots of hang out spots. Or even a spotted or Stimson would do the trick.
2 ft isn't a lot of space for a 8 footer to be comfortable :)

Oops I read 2 ft instead of 2 metres, my bad.... In that case go for a Darwin :) I'm biased I have 5 !

Last edited:
So would this be your first snake ever? If so and you are still getting to know the ins and outs then start small with a Childrens or a Stimson Python. They dont get too big and are very friendly and curious snakes that wont have an issue being held by kids. If you are wanting to start off with a Carpet Python, my recommendation would be to aim for a Bredli for a variety of reasons. Be aware that a snake lives as long as a fluffy pet (and longer in some cases) so it should not be bought as a "novelty"

Good to see you are already looking into enclosure sizes and things.

hello and welcome to the site :)
maybe have a look at some species which are smaller like the antarasia sp like the stimson pythons,pygmy pythons or spotted pythons, woma pythons are real cool beginner snakes awesome food response and handles well unless its feeding time lol

Thanks for your help who would you guy recommend as a good breeder of pythons in brisbane

Check the sponsors and 'for sale' section there's bound to be someone near you

hi and welcome if you have 2m of floor space how much height do you have if not about 1.5m then you are better off with a snake that dwells on the ground so childrens the best if you have some height then get a bredli i have one and they are great with the kids my youngest 6 year old girl is always the first to ask to hold smiley...good luck mate...and be careful....SNAKES ARE ADDICTIVE..........one more thing good to see the new mods being the first to welcome our new members,wont be able to get much past you lot,you are all on the ball so to speak....

Welcome aboard. I love my spotted and the kids have loved learning about snakes with her. She comes from a line that reached 1.5m so at 1.2m she still has some growing to do. My next snake will be a Diamond as I have always loved the look af them.

Start by lookaing at different fact sheets about pythons you hear of that interest you. Grab a book by Mike Swan called 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' it is a great book to get some initial info from. Do you have any mates who already keep snakes, I picked te brains of my mates as they had a lot of experience between them.

The key is do LOTS of research before you buy one and get everything ready and in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back