Looking for heat cord ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing_Nut

Reaction score
I have read a few posts that indicate there are keepers who use heat cords exclusively and was wondering if they are using heat cords are as the primary heat source in enclosures for arboreal snakes and if so how are these arranged and installed?

I'm specifically looking at ideas for the new enclosures I'm building to house adult south west carpet pythons.

Any pictures, diagrams and ideas would be appreciated.

Kinds regards

Adam

I am about to set up a heat cord for a SWCP myself :)
Basically you use a PVC pipe and wrap the heat cord or heat mat around it, and then wrap a peice of fake grass over that.
I have seen them set up and the carpet pythons love them.

Hi Adam

I use heat cord and mats in all my enclosures. You will find that when you give the carpets a feed they will seek out the heated area where the cord is and sit on it. I have the cords set up on about 1/3 of the floor space and put a hide on top and they all do fine with it. Adult SWCP do spend the majority of their time on the ground and will do fine with just cord in the enclosure.

Thanks for that advice.

What wattage heat cords do you use Andrew? Are they under a tile?

Any other ideas/advice out there?

I have routed grooves in the floor of some of my enlosures, sit the cord in the groove and then glue a tile over the top. Works great. I run a 50 watt cord under a 450x450 tile for my BHPs.

No pics sorry but I also have cords on basking shelves. So the animals can sit high up but still get warm. If you can make a heat pad out of the cord with corflute or the routing method, then you can basically set it up anywhere you want. 25W is big enough for most Carpets but 40W may be required if you have one of the really big species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back