What sex is best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
When it comes to owning a snake what sex is best, male or female?
does their temperament, behavior or care differ in any way from male to female?
what would you recommend and what are your opinions when it comes to the sex of your snake?
I'm not planning on ever breeding snakes so it doesn't really matter in that way.
Thanks Zoe

On reading the thread title, I could not think of a single reply that was appropriate for a public forum in any way :)

I haven't really noticed any behavioural differences between either gender, and as far as I know, if breeding's not involved, there's no difference in husbandry at all. In fact lot of people don't even know the gender of their snake/s.
I don't know what most of mine are, and unless I planned on breeding, wouldn't bother getting them sexed. Most reptiles in this house are male until proven otherwise:)

If you aren't breeding, as GeckoJosh said the only difference is size. Females will grow larger and have a 'stubbier' tail than males. Males will be shorter and have a long elegant tail and the spurs (Remaining-ish limbs) will be more pronounced.

Other wise I cannot see any other differnces appart from appearance. Temperments are typically the same (all snake personalities vary though so they can be un-predictable).

Then it depends on you...if you are going to decorate the enclosure with pink and name the snake Rainbow-Dance-Lollipop.....don't get a boy o_o
(I'm just joking. I know you wouldn't ;) No one would ever do that....hopefully :shock:)

i have never noticed any difference in temperament or behavior and care is the same for both male and female.
alot of my pythons are unsexed and the one that are sexed all behave the same, though personalities differ and thats just individual personality.

sharkyy my sister who was 16 at the time tried to get me to name my chihuahua lollipop and i said no then she nagged me to name her candy and i said unless your gonna eat her or taste her to see if she tastes like a lollipop or candy you get no same in the name. lol

Last edited:
IMHO, I'd go for a male. I've got 6 snakes and 2 are male and they have had an awesome nature straight out of the egg. The male coastal and male darwin (100% HET) are so relaxed it's insane. But I guess after my black and gold Jungle as a youngin everything is sedate. All my other snakes combined wouldn't have tagged me as much as her.

In fairness though, the males have tagged me as a feeding response getting them out of the feeding enclosure. Love bites really.

I have 3 female snakes (not intended) and they are all well behaved, especially my BHP, she is extremely "docile".

I agree with GeckoJosh, not really much to say about them apart from the fact of their size but it is only slight.

From my personal experience only. I have noticed some (not all) females change when sexual maturity hits and breeding season comes around. I've had a couple of very placid pythons turn feral on me for no reason at all, the only change was they were now sexually mature.

I have never noticed any change in any of my males temperaments.

If I was going to choose a "pet", I personally would go with a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back