monitor by the pool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So I just saw this monitor basking on the rocks beside the pool. I only had my phone with me so the pics are shocking. I am in Alice Springs. It was about 60cm from nose to tip of tail.
IMAG0186.jpg
IMAG0188.jpg

Looks like a juvie sand monitor, Varanus gouldii, as for which subspecies im not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. He sure was a looker. The pics don't do him justice. He had really great, bright markings with heaps of contrast. I was thinking gouldii but thought I would double check. My knowledge of monitors is pretty much non existant.

Flavirufus. Nearly as pretty as one of mine:lol:

Seems some people still don't get it despite repeated reminders. If you can't post something that is relevant and helps towards the ID or confirmation of the ID do not post. One line comments like 'Very nice' or 'cute snake' are NOT acceptable in the ID or Herp Help threads. If they continue warnings or infractions will​ be issued.

Varanus gouldii flavirufus - found in the sandy desert areas of the continent. The subspecifc epithet means “yellow and red”. A beautiful animal.

A good way to identify gouldii is that they have plain yellow or cream (unbanded) on the last quarter to one-third of their tail. Note that the subspecies of Panoptes known as rubidus can also have a similar coloured (but usually shorter) tail tip. This subspecies occurs in the Pilbara region and a bit beyond and is quite distinctive in form.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back