geckodans Guide to Australian monitors in captivity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first glance they all appear to be the most comprehensive books available at present for the keeping of Australian species. Then again I guess that was the aim of the authors so well done guys. Both authors and publishers. Books are all well presented although there are still the usual proof reading errors that have been missed in a few spots.

On your snake book Scott ( which I havent completely read yet) I noticed no mention in feeding sections of feeder skinks and/or geckos. In Queensland it is legal to collect and feed some species ( I know you are aware of this ) and with the growing ahg populations I am surprised no mention is made of this potential food source. I do realize that the book is aimed at a much wider audience and it is illegal in other states. It also may be mentioned somewhere I haven't read yet so my apologies of it is.

All in all great books and a credit to you all.

Hi Andrew,

pg 69 to 79 cover feeding including food types. Lizards are discussed specifically on 77, but also in food refusal and trick feeding sections.

I know it can be a pain but if anyone finds an error let me know via pm.... It becomes hard to find them after reading a manuscript so many times as you start to remember as opposed to reading the text.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy them,
scott

Thanks Scott I had only looked at the individual species sections so far and had not seen any mention so good to know. Being in Queensland I make very good use of house geckos.

If I notice any typos again I will take note and I will let you or Danny know depending on who's book it is.

Definitley enjoying them so far

Really enjoyed both the elapid and monitor editions; one typo in the monitor book on page 153, dorsal views appear to be the same animal?

I found Danny's diseases section fascinating and anything on elapids for me is a real break from the ordinary. Thankyou both, nice efforts:)!

Haven't had a chance to read the monitor edition from cover to cover yet, however what i have read is fantastic. Well worth the wait

I picked up this awesome book as soon as it was published luckily I live on the sunny coast so I hounded Geckodans home phone and managed to get a copy that I have had for a while now, excellent book I still read parts of it daily and have picked up some excellent info especially in regards to healthy feeding of monitors There are still elements of monitor keeping I am still looking for which I think can only be found through individual experience gained by observing these unique creatures in our own personal care cheers

Our dragons and monitors books arrived today, I've had my head buried in the montor book for the last hour while my wife has been reading the dragon book.

I really recommend these books to anyone who keeps the relevant species or even just people with an interest. There is a fantastic amount of info on all aspects of keeping, housing, feeding etc etc.

Thank you to Danny and all those who contributed to these books.

I ordinarily baulk at the idea of paying a ridiculus amount of money for a book (I'm a massive scrooge though, so $20 to me is a ridiculous amount), preferring instead to source the majority of my books from op-shops or secondhand book sales.
I did however spend a couple hundred dollars of my tax return on a few herp books, Guide to Australian Monitors being one of them, and I am thoroughly impressed. It is worth every cent :D It is well-written, very informative and above all interesting, no blandly worded technical drivel that drives me insane and makes me sleep :D
The only thing I can fault is that I ordered it a few days before Geckdan announced his website on APS, so I missed out on a signed copy. So, Dan if you wouldn't mind nipping round to my house for a second, I've got a couple things that need your signature :p

If only I could afford them. I so badly want the elapids and colubrids book and the pygopods and geckos.

Ohhh Scott! You wrote the elapids and colubrids book! I had no idea and a while back I was having a disagreement on whip snakes or small eyed snakes or something. In an ID thead because someone asked whether they were dangerous. Haha probably not a good idea when you are like elapid king and writes $75 books on em hahaha!

welli think it was you...

If only I could afford them. I so badly want the elapids and colubrids book and the pygopods and geckos.

Ohhh Scott! You wrote the elapids and colubrids book! I had no idea and a while back I was having a disagreement on whip snakes or small eyed snakes or something. In an ID thead because someone asked whether they were dangerous. Haha probably not a good idea when you are like elapid king and writes $75 books on em hahaha!

welli think it was you...

If you were arguing with someone, then it probably was Scott. Arguing is his second favourite hobby.

Hahaha I wouldn't quite call it an argument, just um different perspectives lol.
Where are reptiles placed on your list of hobbies?

Anyway, love your books geckodan, well what I've read anyway, can't afford to buy the books at the moment :( ah well I have 3 1/2 yrs till I will start to think about keeping elapids anyway.

Reading the gecko n Pygo,elapids and the monitor books.....loven them all. Cheers for the hard work fella's. Will be getting the larger Lizard one and the pythons later on. ;) Well worth the $'s people. As Molly says,.."Do yaself a favour" Go and get one or 3.

Banana,

behind my family, my herps/herpetological interests are my life. The arguments and inherent grumpy state is a result of a lack of sleep, lack of time and general low tolerance levels in general lol.
You can get around the 18 yr old law if the license was in your parents name.... Just a thought not a suggestion.

smithers,
Glad to hear your liking the books. The unreleased titles are just as impressive.

cheers
Scott

I finished reading it fully yesterday, be hard pressed to find a more complete book for monitors.

+ the pwetty pictures to look at ;)

Haha lack of sleep is my problem too although I suffer no side effects lol.
Unfortunately the licence is under my name. I can own them ifi write out handling competency but mums not keen on elapids in my room and I'd rather get more years experience first. Just can't wait to do a handling course!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back