Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerboyz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if i should be keeping a python or something like a tree snake as a first snake. im a full time uni student in brisbane and im intending to have a snake as a pet in about a month's time. reading up heaps to get myself ready!

I'd like to get a baby/hatchling so i can watch it grow. what do you guys reckon?

Generally first timers go for anything from the Anteresia group which includes children's pythons, stimons and spotted pythons.
They are very simple to keep and don't get very big at all, also they're known to be quite docile which make for a good first snake.

I got a woma as a first snake, she is great got her yesterday
ujeze7e2.jpg

congrats! have been waiting and thinking too long to take this first step! i'll be sure to ask you guys for advice when i get him/her.
thinking of buying a morelia spilotes cheynei off the trading thread?

I did heaps of research for like 5 months and i only just got her yesterday. Be ready to get bitten if you get a hatchling. I got bitten yesterday haha

Personally I wouldn't recommend a tree snake as a first snake, the simplest reason I can give you as to why is the diet they require.

I would recommend any of the antaresia (childrens/stimsons/spotted) pythons as they are generally very hardy and amenable to handling, and their maximum size is very managable (average about 1m).

OK. So I noticed you mentioned looking at Jungle Pythons. These pythons have a reputation for being quite feisty/snappy, but as with all snakes they are all unique. I have kept Jungle's which have been completely docile and never even looked like biting, and I've kept antaresia that could only be described as psycho.

Whatever you decide to go with, just make sure you do as much research as possible and I am sure you will love your experience no matter what you end up with.

congrats! have been waiting and thinking too long to take this first step! i'll be sure to ask you guys for advice when i get him/her.
thinking of buying a morelia spilotes cheynei off the trading thread?

Cant go wrong with Morelia. if you do the proper research you will be able to handle a carpet. Just know as hatchlings tyhey are more then likly allways snappy, but most grow out of it. Whatever species ou do decide to get. Make sure you do a ample amount of research and make sure you get your enclosure setup just right.

I got a darwin carpet python as my first snake lovely and docile i was thinking of getting a spotted or childrens but i prefer a snake that grew larger

As a first snake definitely get a python. Tree snakes arent generally classed as beginner snakes. As for what python, it depends what you like. As stated above do lots of research on the type you want. I found when I started doing research I changed my mind a few times before deciding on a woma.

As a first snake definitely get a python. Tree snakes arent generally classed as beginner snakes. As for what python, it depends what you like. As stated above do lots of research on the type you want. I found when I started doing research I changed my mind a few times before deciding on a woma.

Yep me two i wanted a jungle then my friend said he was breeding woma's and that they were his first python. So i went with a woma, and i havent regreted it.

Depends on your budget,depends on first snake.Most Ants,Morelia under $250,but Womas usually start at $250,but bigger snake as adult cost more to house and more to feed.What locale is your Woma Joely?

yeah looking at the for sale threads on this forum, considering a spotted, jungle carpet and a woma.
woma is like 3 times the price of a spotted though!

Yeah they are expensive but its worth it. If you are interested in a woma give me a pm.

yeah looking at the for sale threads on this forum, considering a spotted, jungle carpet and a woma.
woma is like 3 times the price of a spotted though!

Thats because Womas are 3 times as good! i can highly recommend woma pythons, i have 2 and both are great, just watch them around feeding time, my little Boondari doesnt mess around haha

I got a Bredli as my first :) She's been so easy to look after and very placid.

They are on the lower end of the price scale. I've seen hatchies going for about $180 at the moment. They have nice patterns (imo).

I have had 6 Macs,all have been good but sometimes bit moody.But now I have some WA Womas and Albino Darwin(with more to come tomorrow).The Womas can have an interesting personality and be an addictive snake,get one,then get two,then want more,so more to come.

for a bigginer i would suggest an Anteresia e.g. children's python, stimons or spotted python.

jungles tend to be snappy especialy as hatchies, woma's are very strong feeders and if over feed can develope fatty liver and even die from it.

plus childrens, spotted and stimsons pythons are pretty cheap and easy to care for. i have 2 childrens pythons and a spotted every single one is easy to handle.

I've personally started with some Jungles. I'd grown up with carpets/diamonds so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.

So far I have learnt to be very patient. If you get a Jungle that is young. You will get bitten. A lot. One of mine came "100% guaranteed to bite you."
This said, I love both of them. They're great little animals, both with their own very different personalities.

I personally don't understand the excitement over womas/BHPs they hold no interest to me. I'm tempted to get a little ANT one day, as something that I can let visitors hold with out fear of it biting them (I don't want people unexperienced in getting bitten to hurt my jungles...)

If you're after a animal you can handle, you really can't go past an a childrens/spotted/stimi. While other breeds may handle well. For them its chance. A ant that hates being handled is quite uncommon.

Another thing to take into consideration is tank size/shape. I'm not experienced with womas but in my knowledge they're not all that keen on climbing and are better suited to lower tanks a lot of ground area due to their large size.

Morelia like a bit of height, depending on the individual and the exact type. I have one of my Jungles in a tall tank, that is almost completely arboreal. While the other is in a low/long tank and he sticks to the ground. I've recently tried swapping them to see what happens.

My point with tank size is to look at how much space you can afford to use. If you have a small footprinted area, (ie, not space for a long/wide tank.) then I think you should rule out a woma.
If you have some height and a decent footprint, a carpet is fine, but if you're really tight for space, you don't really have an option past getting a little ant.

I welcome any corrections on my woma related statements as I've limited knowledge with those weird pitless pythons...

EDIT: I'll pm the OP my recent youtube video of the feeding response from my Jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back