Snail questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pet shops sell them, i had them breeding so never had to buy them. You can find them in your garden, as long as you are 100% sure they havent been snail baited.
They will eat them shell on, usually leaving bits of shell..

Bluetongues will also eat Crickets, veges, fruit, dog food..

Snails should just be treats mate so 2 or 3 little ones each sitting maybe 3 times a week should be good. I'm only going off what I've read but I know if I had snails, my Bluey would eat the day in and day out.

snails (shells on) are by far the best food you can give your bluey,tons of protein and calcium in one,as well as that you can try dog food (avoid anything with fish),chicken mince,lots of fruit,banana is popular but don't feed it too often.My girls latest favourite is blueberries + cherries

snails are a treat food i let my adult have 2-3 big ones 1-2 times a week with shell on, they crack the shell and try to eat the inside only. canned ones smell and mine wont eat them. petshops some times have live snails but my local one has not had any in over 3 months so i breed them myself.

since yours is so young give it 1-2 small ones 2-3 times a week shell on.

Out of sheer interest where would you buy canned snails and what are they sold for eg human consumption??

TWO
garden snails are hermaphrodites

but you still need at least 2 because they still mate together
as for blue tongue skinks I used to feed mine gardensnails with house as many as they liked in the summer and everything else in winter, gardensnails er high in calcium

we really don't have any snails in our garden (probably get munched up by all the lizards and frogs :D)

what we do have though is tiny little snails in our fish pond - they multiply practically in front of your eyes. are these okay to feed our new baby bluey?

Fabulouscazza,
Sounds like you have Ramshorn snails. Your bluetongue may eat them or may find the amount of shell to meat not to its liking. All you can do is try. If it does like them, then they will be good for it.

TheReptileben,
Garden snails (also known as European snails) are easy to collect. Take a wander around the neighbourhood after it has rained in the evening, or is drizzling, and you should find lots of snail out on the grass verges. Alternatively, go for a wander after midnight (with a good torch) and check the lawns that have had the sprinklers on. You can usually find most snails on the lawns adjacent to garden beds.

If you really want to breed them yourself, plant a bed of Agapanthus plants along side some lawn. Add a handful of snails and give it a couple of months. Keep your Agapanthus well watered during dry periods. You will be surprised the number of snails you’ll get.

You will often hear concerns about snails that may have taken baits. Simply keep all snails you have collected from areas other than those know not to use baits for at least three days. If they die, ditch them. If they are still alive then feed then to your lizard. Keep captured snails somewhere cool and never in direct sun. You can feed them on the green outer lettuce leaves that they throw out in the supermarket. Alternatively, butcher’s paper is suitable. A light misting once a day is all that is required. I use white plastic buckets covered with a piece of shade cloth held in place with tie wire. You can maintain a couple of hundred snails for a week or two in such a set up. For long term storage, about 50 snails max per bucket is what I would recommend. Also, for longer term storage, I would definitely add several loosely crumpled pieces of butcher’s paper to allow the snails to elevate themselves off their wastes.

Blue

hey Blue,how would it go to drill holes in the bottom of the buckets to let the waste out similar to the filter buckets I use for my woodies

personal pets is the cheapest place to buy snails

I don't see snails often up here in Darwin but sometimes i see them at my dads house but they are HUGE at that house it is a house surrounding a rainforest looking thing when we stand in the middle and look up you cant see through the trees and also it is really humid coz of the ponds I suppose that is good snail area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back