Cheap hides?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb96

Reaction score
Hey guys, not long now til my womas hatch and I'm getting it all setup so its all good to go, but I'm unsure on hides what would be good to use that is cheap and not to big as the tubs there going into are the 5 little ones

Cheers Caleb.

Toilet rolls seem to be the cheap hide of choice for most hatchy set ups. Cigarette packets that sort of thing/size box.

Just get some PVC pipe from bunnings from bunnings cut it in half so its a semi circle and paint it a colour. My woma loves them

Hi Caleb, I think you mean 5 Litre tubs not 'little ones' :)
Any small box will do for now. Light globe boxes, toilet roll tubes are popular - just avoid anything that's had anything with a strong smell in it (perfume boxes)
I've even seen Panadol boxes used by some people

That was what I was trying to think of the large Panamax/Paracetamol boxes. :facepalm:

Yeah that's what i meant haha I'm looking for something that looks decent i like the PVC pipe idea :) keep them ideas coming guys and what about water bowls what do yous use for water bowls in hatchy tubs?

Caleb.

Kmart sell cheap "ramekins" in the cooking section only a $1 or 2 - they're just small ceramic straight sided bowls, they're great cos they're heavy enough to not be knocked over by little ones
ydyrazum.jpg

Last edited:
Any of the others can look decent with a quick dab of paint. Otherwise get creative and mix up some paste and do a bit of your own paper mache, make a hide and paint it to look like a rock or what ever you choose.

Silver paint could give the boxes an industrial look especially if you then dot some black paint rivets around the seams. Look up 'Making scenery for Warhammer' you will find heaps of cool ideas.

I like the look of those ceramic bowls might have to look into getting them :) thanks for that :) iv always thought about the paper mache before but what can you coat it with to water proof it?

Caleb.

I use plastic pots and the little things that sit under them for hides!
cut a hole file the edges if a bit sharp and ur done!

Any acrylic paint will seal it. If you are really keen get a small bucket of 'Pond Tight' from the hardware store used to seal water features. Or just mix up some PVA and water and when it is really dry it is water resistent enough that you would need to let it wallow in water to break the seal.

Kmart sell cheap "ramekins" in the cooking section only a $1 or 2 - they're just small ceramic straight sided bowls, they're great cos they're heavy enough to not be knocked over by little ones
ydyrazum.jpg

That's what I use and never had a problem yet....touch wood #ouch#head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check you're local $2 shop for small plastic bowls - the disposable type. A couple of dollars will get you 10 or more and they're easy to cut an access hole in - and you can pick up some $2 paints from the craft section while you're there to paint them with :)

Bunnings have a range of good quality pot plant saucers (pvc) which make EXCELLENT hides with a hole drilled or cut in them.....solar 17 :)

Any of the others can look decent with a quick dab of paint. Otherwise get creative and mix up some paste and do a bit of your own paper mache, make a hide and paint it to look like a rock or what ever you choose.

As ive had no experience with hatchies before, (nor much in general with regards to reptiles) is paint ok to have around them? i like the idea of paper mache` but paint seems a bit "iffy" to me, i guess if you use it sparely and a non toxic paint im guessing it would be fine? or is there some sort of reptile friendly prefer paint?

Water based paints are no issue. Have a read through the DIY threads to learn more but even the varnish we use on the timber and the pond tight is fine if you let it air for a while and really dry before your snake goes in it. They aren't like dogs and chew on stuff when they are young so the only issue to a certain extent is the fumes.

- - - Updated - - -

Solar 17 with the terracotta pots how do you cut/drill a hole in it with out it cracking/braking?

Use a masonry bit and make sure the back of what you are drilling is supported with some timber, but they are talking about the pvc/plastic plant pots.

Solar 17 with the terracotta pots how do you cut/drill a hole in it with out it cracking/braking?

* sticks hand up*
Soak it in a bucket of water and drill it very slowly (after you've taken it out of the water ) :)
Small drill bit, several holes in the shape you want and a gentle tap should see it crack between the holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back