Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
depending on the rarity of the snake and after I had given a good effort in trying to get the snake more tolerable of handling, if the snake was just a plain old psycho then I would potentially move it on if I couldn't handle it.

i thought having cuddly snakes was important when i got my first few,...it was hard to understand people being happy with their biters.
but as the family has grown i now have my share of biters, one which is totally unhandleable unless she already has a mouthful of towel,...im cautious with her, but would never rehome her.

ive worked out that my favourite part of being a snake mum is offering them a good life, nice homes, and seeing them enjoy what i offer. (spacious cages, aviary time etc, they love that aviary)
getting them out is fun, and i do have a few that get handled more than others because they come to the front of their cage and get my attention, but after a 2 min cuddle theyve made their way to the floor and have better things to do,...

interaction is important, but just for the basics, checking them over for lumps and bumps, helping with retained sheds etc,

thats the snakes, the lizards are an entirely different kettle of fish, from all outward appearances i would say all my lizards are nuts for attention, and get drowned in love on a daily basis,....

I agree that i get a huge amount of enjoyment starting with a snappy snake (usually hatchlings) and working with them until they are comfortable being handled, i don't think taming is the right word though, no snake is truly tame.
But to answer the question, it would depend on the snake. If i had a beautiful GTP in a display enclosure, i wouldn't care at all if i couldn't handle it.

It's the same for owning vens. they are a look but don't touch kind of animal but i am currently working on getting my restricted license because they are just interesting to watch how they move and act in a natural enclosure.

i do keep snakes that can't be handled and only get handled to clean the enclosure or feeding/ water change. and even then i need a snake hook. i do keeps some that can't be handled and would never sell them but a few i am thinking about selling.

but i do prefer pythons that can be handled, both my childrens pythons love being handled. as soon as i open the enclosure she comes straight to the door and climbs up me and i will sit in front of the lap top and she will explore the laptop and printer then climb back on me. she falls asleep on my lap ect

i think its more than just tolerating me.

I'm not sure I could keep one I couldn't handle, as I really only have limited space, but if I had more room, I would do, no worries.
I love watching them, when I got my first one, (an 5 ft MD - he's in my room) I would sit for hours watching him explore the cage, hang off the light cages (and usually fall because he's rather clumsy). :p He is a brilliant big guy with an awesome temperament, he tolerates handling really well, loves to come out, but more to explore, he isn't one to sit still, he wants to get down and go for a wander.

Id ultimately love a reptile room, with a nice recliner chair in the middle of it, with the cages along the walls, housing Albino Darwin's, RSP's, GTP's, and my MD. I'd be in heaven I think. LOL

2 of my jungles are placid they are always happy to come out side and play but I brought a female at the age of 3 and I only handle her when I have to because she Dnt like me very much I Dnt even think she likes me looking at her so she is just for show and breed now

What's the definition of "tame and handleable" by people?

All of mine tolerate handling but none of them can be taken out without the use of a hook.... stick a hand in there and there shall be blood (I like it that way... open my enclosures at your own risk lol).

What's the definition of "tame and handleable" by people?

All of mine tolerate handling but none of them can be taken out without the use of a hook.... stick a hand in there and there shall be blood (I like it that way... open my enclosures at your own risk lol).

my jungle dante is what i would call tame never has snapped at me even through feeding time i can happily reach in and pull him out with out a fuss whether he is in his cave or basking he doesnt care if i touch him i can run my finger up and down the sides of him without him flinching ever

On the topic of whether snakes can be tamed. I'm wont claim that this is a case of "Taming" but I have witnessed a 20+ year old diamond that, when taken outside to get some sun, wonders around for a bit, then eventually comes up to its owner, and rests its head on their foot. This wasn't a once off either. I've seen it a few times.

Not sure whether its tamed, but that doesn't seem like tolerance to me.

- - - Updated - - -

On the topic of whether snakes can be tamed. I'm wont claim that this is a case of "Taming" but I have witnessed a 20+ year old diamond that, when taken outside to get some sun, wonders around for a bit, then eventually comes up to its owner, and rests its head on their foot. This wasn't a once off either. I've seen it a few times.

Not sure whether its tamed, but that doesn't seem like tolerance to me.

You could think of snakes as a piece of artwork hanging on the wall. You never touch it, but admire looking at it. Just like fish in an aquarium, and also like our larger monitors that are too large or dangerous to be held, so we admire them by watching them. No holding is necessary.
I agree with you 100%. I learned early on in my reptile keeping that they do not like to be held and some will tolerate it. IMO it's selfish to put them through unnecessary stress like that. The only time I hold them is if I'm checking them out, cleaning there cages, or if I show someone who is afraid of reptiles. I have a leopard gecko and a ball python I let my lil brothers hold and interact with when they are over at my house.

I appreciate looking at my reptiles..yes i do take them out of their enclosures to clean etc but DONT just to have a play with them..I think thats why my Jungles are feral beasts...but thats my choice not to handle-pick them up...however most of the others are ok to handle...If they were meant to be handled they should have handles..lol...I always interact with my snakes..most importantly the jungles interact with me..literally...

All my girls are lovely and friendly and I do believe they enjoy coming out of their enclosures are exploring. All of them will come to the glass when they see me approach (unless they're sleeping) and happily climb onto my arm and up to my shoulders for a cuddle. On a nice hot day, I take them out into the backyard and let them enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. I know they don't have the same "social awareness" gradient that mammals do.. but they seem to recognize my scent and know that my presence means food or a chance to check out something new. I have never used a snake hook with them, and I do something in their cages everyday (swap a piece of rock for a new log, or something) so they are never alarmed by me being in their space. They definitely have their own personalities and behaviour patterns and I don't care what anyone says; when my baby RSP is curled in the palm of my hand, and then reaches up and licks my nose, I am smiling for the rest of the day.

I agree with you 100%. I learned early on in my reptile keeping that they do not like to be held and some will tolerate it. IMO it's selfish to put them through unnecessary stress like that. The only time I hold them is if I'm checking them out, cleaning there cages, or if I show someone who is afraid of reptiles. I have a leopard gecko and a ball python I let my lil brothers hold and interact with when they are over at my house.

I would disagree with you to a certain extent. I own snakes that do appear to enjoy being handled. I think snakes in general become used to being handled and don't get stressed any more by this than being in a oblong box watching Sky News through the glass, instead of being in their natural habitat. Could it be the case that snakes that are handled infrequently become more stressed as the whole process is more alien to them. Just me thinking out load really but what do you think.

Just one final point, its great if you can make a choice as to whether to handle or not and how frequently, but all to often this is an entity imposed as some people expand their collections far to quickly without foresight. The all to familiar "I got my first snake a year ago and now i have eight" springs to mind.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I would disagree with you to a certain extent. I own snakes that do appear to enjoy being handled. I think snakes in general become used to being handled and don't get stressed any more by this than being in a oblong box watching Sky News through the glass, instead of being in their natural habitat. Could it be the case that snakes that are handled infrequently become more stressed as the whole process is more alien to them. Just me thinking out load really but what do you think.

Just one final point, its great if you can make a choice as to whether to handle or not and how frequently, but all to often this is an entity imposed as some people expand their collections far to quickly without foresight. The all to familiar "I got my first snake a year ago and now i have eight" springs to mind.

Kindest regards

Endeavour
What makes you think your snake(s) don't get stressed when handled? And your going to tell me a snake in a quiet place with little to no disturbances is somehow more stressed out then a snake being handled? How does that work? That oblong box is there safe zone, where IMO they are most comfortable. Yes snakes that arnt handled often do tend to get stressed when handled. Kind of like a "tame" before it became "tame", wich IMO is a huge load of bs.

I love my snakes so much, but i rarely handle them. Most i can do so with nonproblems, but some jungles andbmy scrub dont really appreciate it. I had a jungle who did calm down with alot of handling when i first started out, but i put it through so much stress in the process.
Now i think if they want to be cuddled i will do every now and then, if not they can be moved with a hook during cleaning and they can keep as calm as possible in their cosy homes.
For me as well, my fascination comes from watching them do snake things, exporing their enclosures and eating and growing. Though i also love bringing them outside now and again to play in the grass, and they all appreciate that i think.
When i had two snakes i was obsessed with handling them, and i always had them out as i was so fascinated. Now that we are going on about 40 animals, you get more to watch, and so the desire to handle has decreased for me.

One of the biggest rewards I see with owning and interacting with reptiles is how you can share your knowledge with other people! I love it when my friends come over scared of snakes and then leave wanting one! It really adds a special feeling to your heart knowing that the reptile hobby is still alive around 'normal' people;)
I also love watching mine just move around, slithering and climbing in the great outdoors. They look so cool doing their thing :D Handling itself is cool....except when Jasper, my spotted decides to go in my hair....lets just say it takes me around 20mins to brush the knots out!!!! Oh well, she's cute! She can get away with it :lol:
Oooh, and everytime they do something "snakey" That is a reward in itself! Watching them drink, eat, flick their tongue, yawn (That is so cute!) and everything else are some of the most interesting parts of owning snakes! It also tells that your snake is happy and healthy :)
It's not much fun watching a dog or cat eat but it is fun watching a snake eat!

I agree! My best mate was a good snake is a dead snake person...until I plonked my biggest girl in his hands while I moved her enclosure...he's now a snake owner/lover!:)

I like handling Skittles and find it relaxing for me but mostly I get her out so she can stretch out fully and have a bit of 'exercise'. If I had a really snappy one I still wouldn't move them on as I don't work that way with my pets, even troublesome dirtbikes were kept and constantly worked on until death. :lol:

As much as I like holding Skittles I LOVE sitting there of an evening watching hr cruise around and do her thing; snakes are so elegant and beautiful to watch so a snappy snake would still be a pleasure in other ways in my opinion.

Last edited:
I love spending time with Sebastian and cuddling with him, he's just always so curious and I find it so fascinating to watch him explore a bit, then run back to mumma and hide, explore a bit more, try to escape into hidey places. He was a bit cage defensive at first because he was so tiny & having to deal with me always wanting to hold him, so I'm glad that he is a little gem now and doesn't ever even look like he will snap me.
He loves sleeping in my tops, always climbing into my top when I'm watching TV & movies, curls up and just sleeps, makes me feel bad when I peek in because he always looks at me like "Leave me alone mum I'm SLEEPING!" :lol:
He also loves to sleep in my dressing gown pocket!
He's recently turned into a climber, hiding in the cracks of his enclosure, his rock wall, on top of his plant, on top of his hide, occasionally I'll see this little one fall off something when all the light are off and I'm watching a movie, he just lights heights and never gives up. I'm so glad that I have him, with regular handling I am able to see now whether is he stressed and wants to go back into his enclosure, or is just comfy and wants some snuggles or explore time, he's a great little companion :D

People keep fish and you can't handle them!? What's the difference? We have found that our Coastals were quite snappy at a young age, hence the name of one of ours is Snappy. But with persistence, and patience ie every day handling we have found that all our of snakes are quite happy to be handled. Our Diamond loves to be handled, we open his tank and Onyx will come slithering out and quite happy to cruise around the house and yard. I still think it just comes down to the individual, you have to want to handle them, and be with them, if you're not willing then the snake in question won't be interested in you either.

The question of how often to handle your snakes and the many different correct answers is always staggering. The answers are always all correct in that, this is what has worked for us and/or thats what we expect/want from our snakes. That's then the guage we use to assume that's how others should care for their snakes.

I can't in reality look at my own snakes and make an informed decision that that's what the OP's are like, no more than I can look at my car in the yard and tell anyone that's how theirs will run.

I'll still continue to handle my snakes as I always have, and in MHO, it's the whole reason they are like they are. I'm the one constantly handling them and seeing their responses, seeing they're moods and their attitudes develop, this is what I beleive I've learnt through handling them.

I am however happy for others to envision me standing in my loungeroom with a writhing, stressed, hissing angry snake thrashing around in my hand until I'm ready to put it away and not when it is. That's your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back